What's happened here ?

Dean Lofthouse

Even with really torn bolt heads get a shovel behind the roller motor and lever against the back of the torque wrench steady pressure and the bolt will come undone. 50 pound ft for the bolts. For those of you who don t remember the origonal bolts were Allen drive and those were a PITA

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It seems to me that TW build to a quality that just about copes with what's asked of them. Whereas an American bit of kit will take all you can throw at it and then some. I just hope they don't decide to build a stumpgrinder!

3. If you don't know the above two points, don't use a welder :biggrin:

I was not suggesting that you the font of all knowledge would find my lowly the tips useful.

I merely suggested them to help other people who are travelling through life from differing backgrounds, who might learn something from others who are prepared to share experiences and save them from making expensive mistakes.

It is interesting to note that other contributors have provided you with some suggestions that may have saved you the time and trouble of welding your studs so that you could remove them.

Is it the case that you have never learned from others kind enough to share knowledge with you in your life time.

Eggs and grannies indeed.

The timber wolf setup is indeed crap, assuming its the same as the entec I used to have. I reckon the heat from the weld is what frees them up, did you try the bottles before welding em up Dean?

The greenmech setup is so much better, a nice big bolt with a big nyloc on the back, the hex head is only for unscrewing once you have cracked the nyloc with a breaker bar.:thumbup:

Two points when welding site equipment,

1 Make sure you disconnect the battery, as you don't want it to explode.

2 Keep the earth clamp as close to work area, as you don't want to be changing bearings that have run the arc across (through) the rolling elements.

How will welding on the machine cause the battery to explode?

good point - I always was told it was something on the alternator that could damage and that was why you disconnected the battery (or put one of those surge protector things across the terminals)

Me too, it burns out the diode on the alternator I think.

good point - I always was told it was something on the alternator that could damage and that was why you disconnected the battery (or put one of those surge protector things across the terminals)

Lead acid batteries produce hydrogen when over charged, it’s highly unlikely a battery would be charged or even overcharged (engine running) while you were welding on a machine.

If you are arc welding on a machine or vehicle, it is wise to disconnect the earth lead or fit a surge protector to protect sensitive electronic components.

I was not suggesting that you the font of all knowledge would find my lowly the tips useful.

I merely suggested them to help other people who are travelling through life from differing backgrounds, who might learn something from others who are prepared to share experiences and save them from making expensive mistakes.

It is interesting to note that other contributors have provided you with some suggestions that may have saved you the time and trouble of welding your studs so that you could remove them.

Is it the case that you have never learned from others kind enough to share knowledge with you in your life time.

Eggs and grannies indeed.

Tintin....I wasn't having a dig at you, I was having a dig with you, thats why I put a smilie :biggrin:

Someone who does not know to connect earth directly to the flywheel to avoid tracking through the bearings and doesn't know to disconnect the battery, is very unlikely to have the aptitude to operate a mig :thumbup1:

Have had the same problem with the TW and have always heated the bolts up with a blow torch. As Tom D says I think the heat has a lot to do with cracking the grip the bolts have on the blade and rota.

PS I have the tw 125 and a bandit 65. They are both very different. The TW is cheep will go any where in a garden tows easy but fragile and going to get petrol every other day pess me off but I wont get rid of it though it just to usefull for all its faults. :thumbup: