Have you been Pulled for over loading?

Billy

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have been pulled over once on suspicion of being over loaded as had van loaded top to tail full of logs and trailer stacked full of discs. To the officers surprise was 150kg under max gross weight. I said it was the colleague who had been on a diet. He (colleague) wasnt best pleased i said that but officer chuckled and let us on our way. I think the reason he pulled us over was we were doing 55 mph going down hill but didnt want to cook my brakes before i got to the 90 degree left at the bottom of the hill. Bad enough with just a van full of logs never mind van and trailer.

It's less about the level of fine one is going to get it's the safety of the rig. There are limits to the braking ability of a vehicle just the same as there are to the ability of a vehicle towing a trailer.

The more you have on it the more distance you need to stop. If you're over loaded the more likely your brakes, suspension etc is likely to have a catastrophic failure the same as rigging gear.

Think of the consequences of causing a collision by being unable to stop. Bad enough if your legal. If over weight or have any fault with the vehicle you're to blame unless you have some very reliable external witnesses.

Compound that if you, your staff or a mother of 2 young children is killed.

I know I've over loaded in the past, I guess everyone has, but do try to think of the implications of sanctioning overloading openly. Most transit type vehicles with chip boxes have the capacity to be grossly overloaded and VOSA know it. Fortunately for most they don't have much manpower.

this is a good point but i know in my case at least it is not a problem i know they pull and stop loads like the one below and bigger with ease on a daily basis elsewhere. also its down plated on import by nearly half a ton. Also all the other trucks people run clearly have a massive safety margin in built so overloading in terms of th ekit being able to take it isn;t a problem its the legal side that causes the headaches, Unfortunatley.

However It was not my intention to start a thread arguing weather the laws are right or wrong. I just wanted to get a realistic idea about how often we get stopped and checked for Weight, and if so what happens:001_smile:

154844_1455868168170_1577320157_30965287_499754_n.jpg

Wood picker, i know your 3.5t had a crazy ULW, out of interest how long were you using that for?

10yrs :lol

coming up the M1 on a friday ,pissing it down ,truck ,grinder strapped on pile of chip ,towing chipper ,looks in mirror sodding police r/r pulls up side of truck looks us up n down nods his head & went of ,was doing 65 @ 7t ,in a 3.5t :lol:

Great stuff mate:thumbup:! you shouldn;t be encouraging us liek that though:001_tt2: What made you deice to change then?

just 1, of those things had a good run for 10, yrs.+ vosa have started using 2, laybye either side of my yard entrance ,had to much kit as well 2,chippers ,2,grinders ,can get the carlton on the big daily & still carry 1700kg of chip :biggrin: