Have you been Pulled for over loading?

Billy

I've beenthinking alot to day about payloads and things as i've been tinkering with my truck and reading some threads onhere and it seems every 3.5t vehicle is chronically over loaded ona day to day basis in our industry, my Dodge is 2.9t empty and the transits aren't far behind that, the Iveco Daily's substantially more! I was a little worried but then thought, does anyone ever get stopped and weighed, if so how bad were the penalties?

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The VOSA website has some interesting stats on the number of vans pulled over for overloading. It's in the 10's of thousands but given the number of vans about it's a drop in the ocean.

We're pretty careful about loads and wouldn't buy another 3.5t tipperfor just this reason. It seems that the best route is either an import Jap 3.5t 4wd or Land Rover tipper. Slightly more load capacity and a proper towing vehicle that'll go most places. The only other, legal, option is for LGV but the licencing(personnel) is a costly business. Safer, cheaper than a fine and I sleep at night.

its atricky one for sure, what does a 130 and 110 LR tipper wighr empty then, I imagined they'd be fairly hefty. I got my Ram becaus ei wanted a big workable 4x4 but at 2.9t it's overloaded a fair bit, but even sitting with what i'd imagine to be a gross weight of 4.5t the springs aren't even flat as they are rated at 3992kg in the states and brought down to 3500kg over here and 5.9l TD thinks nothing of propellingthat along with chipper in tow! anything over 3.5 t is out of the question for me as i don;t have a pre 97 license and i can't justify the hassle and cost of sorting one out for a good while yet.

its atricky one for sure, what does a 130 and 110 LR tipper wighr empty then, I imagined they'd be fairly hefty. I got my Ram becaus ei wanted a big workable 4x4 but at 2.9t it's overloaded a fair bit, but even sitting with what i'd imagine to be a gross weight of 4.5t the springs aren't even flat as they are rated at 3992kg in the states and brought down to 3500kg over here and 5.9l TD thinks nothing of propellingthat along with chipper in tow! anything over 3.5 t is out of the question for me as i don;t have a pre 97 license and i can't justify the hassle and cost of sorting one out for a good while yet.

I guess it's one of those business decisions you have to make - and you probably already know the answer. If something goes wrong or you get stopped a few times getting your license upgraded may be the best option.

The VOSA website has some interesting stats on the number of vans pulled over for overloading. It's in the 10's of thousands but given the number of vans about it's a drop in the ocean.

We're pretty careful about loads and wouldn't buy another 3.5t tipperfor just this reason. It seems that the best route is either an import Jap 3.5t 4wd or Land Rover tipper. Slightly more load capacity and a proper towing vehicle that'll go most places. The only other, legal, option is for LGV but the licencing(personnel) is a costly business. Safer, cheaper than a fine and I sleep at night.

not as costly as some make out , about £800 for "o" liesence ,are 12wk checks are £45! any probs will be picked up @ check time so spreading any reair cost over the yr in stead of 1, hit @ test time & working with in 25m of base no records required, which suits me :biggrin:

i guy i do alot of climbing for has a old nene overland purpose built arb land rover 130 tipper all made with ally planking etc and that weighs 3 tons empty. my transit isnt much better with a ally buck with wooden chip box it weighs in at 2445KG empty.

Get rid of that ridiculous american muscle truck, save a fortune on running costs and what have you, get a towing licence and buy a defender 130 and bob's your uncle, problem solved.

My running costs are no different to a transit or similar, it returns 20MPG but it runs on most Oils, plus no burned out clutches or getting stuck. I wouldn't mind a landy but they are rediculously expensive for what they are, when my truck does the same for transit money with a better engine, heavier though. How much legal payload does your Defender have, do they get more than a transit?

I considered towing a trailer and getting the B+E license but i think for most domestic jobs a large trailer is too much of a pain to get onto the driveway, or even find space on the street for in some cases.

the ULW on the 110 tipper is awesome! but why does test crickets mate's 130 weigh in at 3 empty, thats a vast difference.

Good insight into running bigger trucks from wood picker, that seem's far more simple than all the non 7.5t driving people make out!

Edited by Billy

My running costs are no different to a transit or similar, it returns 20MPG but it runs on most Oils, plus no burned out clutches or getting stuck. I wouldn't mind a landy but they are rediculously expensive for what they are, when my truck does the same for transit money with a better engine, heavier though. How much legal payload does your Defender have, do they get more than a transit?

I considered towing a trailer and getting the B+E license but i think for most domestic jobs a large trailer is too much of a pain to get onto the driveway, or even find space on the street for in soem cases.

get a 5t truck,good p/l & good towing capacity