firewood shortages & increase in cost of it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Johny Walker

how many of the f/w guys are finding it harder to find f/w both h/w & s/w & dealing with the vast increase in the price of the raw matiral , & do you think the price is down to what the biomass plants are paying,thus controling f/w prices :001_smile:

i'm paying a fiver a tonne more now than i was 3 years ago for hardwood cord and i've been offered more than i can store(some off which i'm buying of lads on here) the thing that is killing it for me at the moment is the haulage, but with diesel at an all time high its not suprising.

I'm buying 75+ tonnes of Beech that's been seasoned for 18 months for £2800 plus £150 delivery per load. If it works out exactly 75 tonnes that works out at £1085 per load and roughly £45 per tonne delivered. Not sure if that's a good price or not but round me there is nothing available so its that or nothing.

I'm buying 75+ tonnes of Beech that's been seasoned for 18 months for £2800 plus £150 delivery per load. If it works out exactly 75 tonnes that works out at £1085 per load and roughly £45 per tonne delivered. Not sure if that's a good price or not but round me there is nothing available so its that or nothing.

sounds a better price then wev been qouted, were are you based ,

Where is that based Tim?

I'd 200t if that was around here anywhere!! Chap who manages alot of woodland around this way wants £50t minimum and thats before delivery.

I'm in Mid Sussex, had been looking for cord wood for ages so i put an add on woodlots. Got a phone call from a guy who has the wood stacked about 10-15 minuts from me. Apart from this one phone call i havent been offered anything else. Slim pickings.

Tim - you could always put an ad in South East Farmer, plenty of farmers in Sussex and Kent who have mature coppice on their land. The problem is the lack of woodsmen . Those that are still felling are quite rightly now earning better wages than before for what is back breaking, dangerous work.

A couple of years ago I was seriously consedering buying a processor and buying in wood to do maybe 500 ton per year. I am soooo glad I didn't, the price of the raw material seems to have gone throught the roof yet the price of the finished product remains the same.