fuel....we are mugs!!

sean

Dont know.....all i know is that if they knocked 20p off a litre they would still make multi billion pound profits!!

Currently about 60% of the pump price goes to the revenue.

If anyone should be offering a rebate it ought to be the revenue.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Think yourselves lucky we are taxed at a high level in this country

If we hadn't been, fuel would have gone up not double but much more, in percentage terms.

And tax would still have to be paid for keeping our armed services etc etc which would have come from somewhere else and we'd all be complaining about that.

High fuel prices give us an incentive to buy more efficient vehicles and also give the car companies a kick up the jacksie to make them

All in all a good thing.

By the way Cabstars only give about 24 mpg which needs sorting quick:thumbdown:

Wait until you have to renew your car/truck insurance too.:thumbdown::thumbdown:

Yes NFU have just robbed me blind (still the cheapest for the best cover):sneaky2:

As for diesel its only going one way and thats up. I'd love to see a fair fuel stabaliser in place but i doubt it will happen. I ask myself if i went to fill up and it was £2 a litre would i still fill up. Yes i would because i need to, i'd have to change what i charge people and the way i work but if it cost 2 quid it cost 2 quid. I'd moan like hell as would everyone else but i think everyone (who could) would still pay it.

Currently about 60% of the pump price goes to the revenue.

If anyone should be offering a rebate it ought to be the revenue.

Wow i didnt realise it was that much......between them......GET THE BLOODY PRICE DOWN!!!!!! Its a scandal that the government have such a high taxation on it however it is equally disgusting that a company can make billions of pounds profit from what is now a neccessity. My grandfather has pretty much lost his independance because he can longer afford to drive to different parts of the uk to see relatives as and when he feels like. Its not right.:thumbdown:

The cheapest I can remember seeing unleaded petrol in pence per litre was 39.9p. That was in about 1987 or 88. So since then, price has gone up more than three-fold. More recently, I recall that for a while petrol hovered around the 70-75p per litre mark, about 2003-04. So in effect, it has almost doubled in cost in seven years. That is the equivalent of about 10% compound per year by my rough calculation.

If you really want to, you can go onto the ONS website and see how prices have changed since 1987 (see "Time Series Data", series identifier "DOCU")! But it would seem my memory is pretty good, probably because it is so painful going to the pumps...

I'm not here to defend the oil companies, but what they are doing is responding to the market. Yes, they make money on extracting oil, but why would they then process that into road fuel and sell at a loss, if they could instead sell it by the supertanker load? To draw a comparison, for those of you that do firewood as well as tree surgery, if you can get £500 for a job, and you have two options of what to do with the wood - either sell it for £50, or deliver it to someone's house and pay them £50 to take it off you, which do you go for?

Last time I did any real research on this, the margins on petrol retailing were very slim - about a penny per litre. The most profitable thing at a petrol station was the carwash, which probably explains why so many filling stations have closed and are now occupied by a gang of blokes with a few buckets of water and sponges.

Global oil markets are driven by supply and demand, OPEC is happy to have oil at $100+, Osborne sees that demand for fuel doesn't really fall if he creams another penny or so on top of every litre, so unless someone is going to come up with a wood-fired car I think we will have to get used to more pain at the pumps.

Wow i didnt realise it was that much......between them......GET THE BLOODY PRICE DOWN!!!!!! Its a scandal that the government have such a high taxation on it however it is equally disgusting that a company can make billions of pounds profit from what is now a neccessity. My grandfather has pretty much lost his independance because he can longer afford to drive to different parts of the uk to see relatives as and when he feels like. Its not right.:thumbdown:

The other thing you need to bear in mind is that these oil companies are global entities, they didn’t make all them billions in the UK

Oh, and the oil companies also pay tax on their profits as well as a tax on extracting the oil... so the 60% of the pump price (fuel duty and VAT) is probably more like 80% when you take that into account...

Still, Gordon Brown managed to use all of this money to pay for your local council to employ a horde of people in non-jobs, or for benefits claimants to live in £2000 a week houses, so I suppose we should all be happy:cursing: