Half block chainsaw.

Mick Stockbridge

I have a few dogged 200's and am in need of a new one but I got thinking that instead of having to buy the whole ensemble wouldn't it be good if you could buy a half block and use the side casings and all the other bits n bobs (exhaust, starter mech, coil, carb, handles, fuel tank etc etc) and build up a saw with a new engine and all the other bits that will probably sit around in the lockup forever.

Would you buy a half block for a chainsaw and use the other stuff that you already have?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm aways stuck by how nice and tight all the bits on a new saw are, loverly crisp chain brake, etc.

So I would sooner have a whole new saw.

I'd agree, I would prefer a shiny new one.

It would be nice though if the saw manufacturers offered through their dealerships some kind of scrappage scheme, where you could take in your battered and dead saw and replace with a new one at a tasty discount.

Recycling useless saws in this way would be environmentally sound, and free up many workshops and storerooms of shelf filling dust magnet "projects" that you just know will never happen but you can't bring yourself to throw away..... just in case!!!!!

I'm aways stuck by how nice and tight all the bits on a new saw are, loverly crisp chain brake, etc.

So I would sooner have a whole new saw.

Yeah I know what you mean but surely with new av's, brake band, starter cord etc and the saw given a 100% re-con it would almost be like new at a fraction of the price.

It's just a thought really. I'm testing the water to see if people would be interested. Maybe if there was enough call for a re-con then I know it's something that Dave D could turn his hand to.

The final cost depends on the condition of the saw and if you have the skill to assemble it yourself or have to pay someone like me to do it for you and I don't over egg the fee.

Biggest bummer is having to split the crank cases - pistons are relatively cheap - the clutch covers are a bit fragile and often need replacing or patching.

I have done a few and sold a few - they have their weakneses but once you have had one stripped down they are fine to work on - better than the Chinese poo!

Yeah I know what you mean but surely with new av's, brake band, starter cord etc and the saw given a 100% re-con it would almost be like new at a fraction of the price.

It's just a thought really. I'm testing the water to see if people would be interested. Maybe if there was enough call for a re-con then I know it's something that Dave D could turn his hand to.

It's a good idea but I think by the time all the bits have been taken apart then reassembled and you've bought the new bits (piston, cylinder rings, carb kit etc etc) you won't be far off the cost of a new saw anyway....

Jonsie is selling a new 200T for £357-50 + vat powerhead only. I think you'd need to be pushing a recon out for £250-00 max to get people to buy over a new one.

• 4 weeks later...