Which pickup?

tim361

Firstly I'm new on here so hi all. I've been looking through all the old posts and i can't seem to find any real answers, it always seems to turn into a slagging match between brand loyalists. I'm looking for a pick-up for doing small tree jobs with, delivering logs and for my misses to use around the farm. The obvious choices are a hilux, l200, navara and a ranger. I haven't forgotten a defender, I just don't find them very comfy to drive due to my height. I'd like to know what people can recommend and what positive and negative points you've found through your ownership.

Cheers All

You have just started a post that will be a slagging match between brand loyalists! lol

Personally i think you would just have to look at your budget and see what turns up locally that matches that budget. All the pickups you listed are good, personally i have a Hilux 2.4d, its a great truck off road but its really underpowered and makes it embarrassing when towing a small digger etc. But my Hilux is all i could find for £1500.

I've just got a new Navara, and it seems pretty good so far. It's huge inside (I'm 6ft 8" and it's spacious), very well equipped as standard, very powerful (188bhp) and seems to be the cheapest. My only gripe so far is a few bits of trim rattling, but they are going to sort that next week.

Recommended!

Tim, if you scroll to the bottom of this page you will see a list of similar threads which may give you some useful info.

Basically, what I gathered earlier is:

Land Rovers are super strong and tough but you have to repair them every weekend (thats why they an off the road vehicle - its always off the road getting fixed!)

Toyotas are long lasting but underpowered and have disappointing towing capability and poor dealer service

Nissan build quality just aint what it used to be and the engines on pre 05 Navarras go bang

Mitsubishi - lowish mpg, poor in snow

Ford Ranger - can chew clutches

All Japanese spare parts are expensive, may be restricted to dealers and given recent problems in Japan may be difficult to obtain.

Me - I've driven Land Rovers for twenty plus years, currently have a Freelander but need something larger so considering Discovery commercial or a Ford Ranger.

Good luck with whatever you buy.:001_smile:

Tim, if you scroll to the bottom of this page you will see a list of similar threads which may give you some useful info.

Basically, what I gathered earlier is:

Land Rovers are super strong and tough but you have to repair them every weekend (thats why they an off the road vehicle - its always off the road getting fixed!)

Toyotas are long lasting but underpowered and have disappointing towing capability and poor dealer service

Nissan build quality just aint what it used to be and the engines on pre 05 Navarras go bang

Mitsubishi - lowish mpg, poor in snow

Ford Ranger - can chew clutches

All Japanese spare parts are expensive, may be restricted to dealers and given recent problems in Japan may be difficult to obtain.

Me - I've driven Land Rovers for twenty plus years, currently have a Freelander but need something larger so considering Discovery commercial or a Ford Ranger.

Good luck with whatever you buy.:001_smile:

That post is like a red rag to a bull.......:001_tt2:

Iv'e had l200 and hi-lux and both have been very reliable. never had a nissan but would get one if the right one turned up. I think what's just as important is do you want a single cab, (king cab type) or double cab. For my work I have a l200 club cab and it suits me fine. Theres just not enough cab space in a single cab for me, and not enough carrying space in a double cab. but thats just my personal circumstances.

That post is like a red rag to a bull.......:001_tt2:

:laugh1::laugh1::laugh1:

Unless you want something really specific, then just get whatever you like thats in your price range...they are all much of a muchness, alll have their faults and let downs, and all have their positives.......and that is why all the threads appear to turn into slanging matches. I have a fairly full-on defender, but if i was in your position i would probably get a ranger or l200.

I've got up to 5k to spend. So as you say I'll just see what's around here for the money. I've got a Ford dealer about 2 miles from my house which is why I'm leaning towards a ranger. I'm also after a king cab/ super cab so have to see what's around in that configuration.

Ford Ranger or Toyota Hilux, Ive got a Mk2 Ranger super cab, and the chap i work for Has a Mk3 Ranger Super cab, both get used off road regularly, for log deliveries, hauling and towing, and are excellent at it, both are good solid trucks.

I doubt you would be able to get a hilux super cab for 5k as i think its only the newer models that you can the super cab with.