• Yes about once a week
    • Hardly ever

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Matty Go to back handels, no way that's the kind of knee jurk reaction we need to avoid, but if we leve the HSE no choice we will end up going the same way as Germany.

The top handle has two handles!

what's happened in germany that I have missed. I voted every day.

I hate it when people say 'blah blah blah like Germany / europe...'

I've worked in Germany, and my experience is they dont give a damn about H&S. felled trees across busy streets in Stuttgart with no roadsigns, 30m platforms being used by russians with no tickets, no inforcement of PPE on ANY of the sites I worked. They seem to have a more laid back approach to the whole thing.

that's what I thought ed. I only spent 2 weeks there 2 years ago but had no problems at all over there. I've got an open job offer over there in munich if things go **** over here (which is highl possible) alex what are we missing?

It's kinda ill'eagle; so i don't like admitting it; cuz i think that it should only be done by those with enough skills and experience to weigh the risks and options. i don't like ignoring the rules; nor recommending stuff that cold get a newbie in trouble/injured/dead. i think you should do a lot of ground cutting before cutting in air. Start climbing without saw; then move up to hand sawing. In the olde daze; us trainees where painters. We'd have to paint cuts left by climbers; many times assuming harder positions than the climber. That is one of the few plusses of painting. The lil'spring clip on polesaws was for cheating; by placing brush from tar can in it; and reaching out to cuts to paint.

i do it for reach; when other options would be more dangerous; and too time tedious(time bieng a legit safety factor of fatigue). i do it for balance; so even though i might be tied in 3x; i don't need to test my safety gear.

But; i also do it to push something 'off of me'; help push something off of me(that is being rope pulled); but also to get more feel for what is really going on with that piece/ when it is ready to go. After it goes; i thumb the saw off; and purposefully; slap my hand down firmly on top of whee the piece just left. In rigging i do this too; to force a thicker hinge; to turn piece slower, and to let rope catch with much less impact; giving lower risk shake etc. Especially to small supports; especially when i'm roped into the same support that rigging is in. This is usually an inverting piece; so double loading from hinge to CG + hinge to CG inverted.

Another trick in small stuff like that is to purposefully fall back into lanyard firmly/kinda hard at exact instant that load is impacting rope on the other side; so that your body weight impact is ballasting the load impact; so that the balance of forces is more down the column of the supporting (vertical) spar. This works very nicely even though the total impact force is increased by your body weight impact; it is less leveraged off to the side. Once again, not all weight makes work harder; stabilizing and ballasting weight makes things easier and even possible; provided the new weight class reached isn't outside the capacity weight class of the system.

Another negative of 1 handing is more wear and tear on your hand and back etc. More balance carrying wear and tear thru both hands, and balanced on back. Most guys i know like a 20/200 with 16" for reach; i like 14" for better balance and speed.

edit:i'm guilty of cut and hold too; when piece is too small to rig; especially final disk cut to collar(holding pressure into stob with flat palm of hand across previous cut) when disk is to thin; then slide enough to grasp fully and throw clear of screen enclosure below. if center rot; i'm able to rig by plunge cut from outside to rot; then take sling and press into plunge cut with handsaw; pull thru rot and choke; then rig; even if just to another sling choked on spar i'm working. So, i plat it legit when i can; and observe all options.