Female tree surgeons

Brad_28

Read all the posts on here today and there seems a lot of negative posts about women in the tree game, but as some one said there are a lot of guys in this job with massive egos, there is a few lads i have worked along side over the years and the way they act and talk to other crew members is way out of order then they cant understand why yhr job took 3 hrs longer than planed, infact its not that long since i asked a climber who was being a arse, if he needed to come down and change his tampax if it would help with his attitude, 

I know of 2 women in this industry, one who works as a groundie for a arb crew, and to be honest about her she would fit in with in most arb crews and put several groundies i know to shame, The other one i met about 5 years ago when we where doing a small clearfell of some infected larch, we let the site out to a NPTC training guy to do some CS32 courses and one of the courses there was this young lady about 25ish, i had to run them through our emergancy procedure before they started and what a decent person she was to talk to, as there 2 day course went on she was the one that stood out above the others, OK she was not the strongest of people only being about 8-9 stone but she was not frightened of having a go or asking for help if she could,nt manage herself,at the end of the course she was the one who just got handed a pass slip and very little said, i watched this course on and off for 2 days and she was far better than the 3 guys there, she only needed telling once and it was done, her cuts where text book, her measuring, working out what logs was to be cut out of each tree was 100%, she delt with most issues with ease and she was the one i would of employed, i have seen a lot of wanabes come and go in this game over the years, the young lady above now works for the EA on a tree team clearing waterways etc and i believe she has done several more NPTC tickets since, so all i can say is congratulations to Joanne, 

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Samantha48 said:

That’s very kind of you to stick up the women you worked with ? I think we all like a bit of attention sometimes but that does not make you a bad person. If these girl’s posing half naked were causing harm then simply do not look. Women can be good looking and good at their job as can men. As long as no one has to work harder to compensate for another colleague then live and let live I say. 

must see if i can dig out pics somewhere i have of female climber friend doing worlds skinniest birch tree take downs for me, she did a cracking job on trees that were definitely no fun, not high but no way to drop for a road and bt wire.  serious advantage she was young, keen and considerably lighter than me!     

• Like 2

9 hours ago, spuddog0507 said:

Read all the posts on here today and there seems a lot of negative posts about women in the tree game, but as some one said there are a lot of guys in this job with massive egos, there is a few lads i have worked along side over the years and the way they act and talk to other crew members is way out of order then they cant understand why yhr job took 3 hrs longer than planed, infact its not that long since i asked a climber who was being a arse, if he needed to come down and change his tampax if it would help with his attitude, 

I know of 2 women in this industry, one who works as a groundie for a arb crew, and to be honest about her she would fit in with in most arb crews and put several groundies i know to shame, The other one i met about 5 years ago when we where doing a small clearfell of some infected larch, we let the site out to a NPTC training guy to do some CS32 courses and one of the courses there was this young lady about 25ish, i had to run them through our emergancy procedure before they started and what a decent person she was to talk to, as there 2 day course went on she was the one that stood out above the others, OK she was not the strongest of people only being about 8-9 stone but she was not frightened of having a go or asking for help if she could,nt manage herself,at the end of the course she was the one who just got handed a pass slip and very little said, i watched this course on and off for 2 days and she was far better than the 3 guys there, she only needed telling once and it was done, her cuts where text book, her measuring, working out what logs was to be cut out of each tree was 100%, she delt with most issues with ease and she was the one i would of employed, i have seen a lot of wanabes come and go in this game over the years, the young lady above now works for the EA on a tree team clearing waterways etc and i believe she has done several more NPTC tickets since, so all i can say is congratulations to Joanne, 

Awww that’s a really kind you took the time to write this post and on behalf of women in Arb Thankyou ?? I hope that Joanne sees this at some point because as women we are so used to feeling like the underdog and feeling that we are not good enough. I  have found that there are good hard working men and also lazy selfish men working in the industry. I have a few friends in the industry and they chat about the job so I listen because I’m eager to learn from them. I just want to have a job outdoors that involves lots of exercise and a sense of achievement. I am NOT an indoor girl and I have worked outdoors since I left school. I know I am not as strong as a man but I can make up for that in other ways. Give us girls a chance please ? the same chance you would give a new male tree surgeon.

• Like 6

10 hours ago, david wood said:

must see if i can dig out pics somewhere i have of female climber friend doing worlds skinniest birch tree take downs for me, she did a cracking job on trees that were definitely no fun, not high but no way to drop for a road and bt wire.  serious advantage she was young, keen and considerably lighter than me!     

That’s a really positive spin and you have just made me realise my weight could be an advantage with thinner trees so I will use that on my first job interview Thankyou. I hope you do find the photographs because it would be nice to see them. Thankyou David ?