Unimogs rock thread

Stephen Blair

21 minutes ago, Conor Wright said:

From experience, that particular company is expensive and not always straightforward to do a deal with. I tried to buy a mog off them a couple of years ago only to find that even though it was advertised for sale they were unable to sell it at the time as it hadn't been examined by their mechanics, a week later they told me they were waiting on confirmation from its owner that he was happy to sell it. I took my money to germany and bought exact same spec with significantly less hours and no complications for 12k less. 

Have contacted them regarding parts and have rarely found them to be competitive with european prices. 

When I ordered a workshop manual from stock it arrived three weeks later with no valid explanation as to why it took so long.

Whilst they are friendly and knowledgeable I cant see the logic in their pricing. 

Did you buy from a dealer or direct from public? Like most, I quite fancy one, but they can get out of hand with costs it seems. Would something at 10-15k end up costing a fortune to put/keep right? Mine wouldn’t do masses. Pull dump trailer or digger, chipper or bale shredder on pto etc no more than 10 mile on road

If my near 20 year old memories are  to be trusted the above firm was helpful and reputable.

I also talked to AV but they , from memory, were a bit unhelpful, my impression being that one should simply write them a cheque without so many newbie questions, quite unlike AC Price's helpful/unpushy responses.

I did actually manage to rationalize that a Unimog was not best suited to working in peat-moss, hence I did not proceed.

Edited by difflock
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, LeeGray said:

Did you buy from a dealer or direct from public? Like most, I quite fancy one, but they can get out of hand with costs it seems. Would something at 10-15k end up costing a fortune to put/keep right? Mine wouldn’t do masses. Pull dump trailer or digger, chipper or bale shredder on pto etc no more than 10 mile on road

Dealer. Jurgen greiner. A bit "german" in manner but all paperwork was in order and the machine was as advertised. He was so confident of it that he offered to drive it to my door. I declined as it was cheaper to get a back load through an international haulier! You would find a 416 for that money easily enough a 424 might (will)need some TLC at that price, or be lacking in extras, which are costly to add afterwards. 

They are not the best dump trailer machines my tipper which takes 6 ton is enough behind it, plus two ton in the back. No way would I go for a twin axle 16 ton full fat dump trailer.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Might be a bit of a ‘how long is a piece of string’ question but would a 3 ton digger go on a u1000 unimog tipper body ok? Size wise I think it would but would it get up ramps and turn through 90 degrees if a muckspreader or something else was on the the linkage or tow hitch. 20” wheels so not massively heigh but ramps would have to be short to stow in bed. 

Weight wise would 3 ton on the back and 6t muckspreader (empty) be alright?

cheers for any input 

42 minutes ago, LeeGray said:

Might be a bit of a ‘how long is a piece of string’ question but would a 3 ton digger go on a u1000 unimog tipper body ok? Size wise I think it would but would it get up ramps and turn through 90 degrees if a muckspreader or something else was on the the linkage or tow hitch. 20” wheels so not massively heigh but ramps would have to be short to stow in bed. 

Weight wise would 3 ton on the back and 6t muckspreader (empty) be alright?

cheers for any input 

Hmm, the U1000 I used to drive. Think you’d struggle to fit a 3tonner in the bed-or at least the tracks/blade would probably just fit on but no room for arm. My Herbst dump trailer is 12ft long and even that has the arm hanging out the back a fair bit. 

Just googled specs- short wheel base is same length as tracks so definitely wouldn’t fit one in that- maybe a long wheelbase variation?

Edited by Matthew Storrs

From experience, that particular company is expensive and not always straightforward to do a deal with. I tried to buy a mog off them a couple of years ago only to find that even though it was advertised for sale they were unable to sell it at the time as it hadn't been examined by their mechanics, a week later they told me they were waiting on confirmation from its owner that he was happy to sell it. I took my money to germany and bought exact same spec with significantly less hours and no complications for 12k less. 
Have contacted them regarding parts and have rarely found them to be competitive with european prices. 
When I ordered a workshop manual from stock it arrived three weeks later with no valid explanation as to why it took so long.
Whilst they are friendly and knowledgeable I cant see the logic in their pricing. 

They’re just robbing so and so’s
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 28/08/2019 at 09:19, difflock said:

If my near 20 year old memories are  to be trusted the above firm was helpful and reputable.

I also talked to AV but they , from memory, were a bit unhelpful, my impression being that one should simply write them a cheque without so many newbie questions, quite unlike AC Price's helpful/unpushy responses.

I did actually manage to rationalize that a Unimog was not best suited to working in peat-moss, hence I did not proceed.

Or as AV said to me (in jest) sign a blank cheque and send it up and they’ll do the rest.

im also in the “I’d love a mog, could put it to use a lot, but costs when they go wrong put me off” camp.

i wouldn’t use atkinson vos if they were  the last company on the planet

awfull service

workmanship

after-sales 

someone once said to me that people who buy unimogs use atkinson vos and people who keep unimogs use acprice

i only ever use acprice now for bits for my mog and if i had to send it somewhere for work it’d go to them as well

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

A few recent pics of mine in bits of action, it’s lifted grinder over a wall, use compressor for nail gun regular, can park it near splitter and pipe it into hydraulics, it’s just so versatile! Made up with it tbf wish there was a way to use the hiab similar to a cherry picker for high hedges. 

A3AEA306-9557-4BD6-B080-C8EEDE2E8EB3.jpeg

1B0B7768-4311-48B8-A12E-31407C732403.jpeg

1D3F9891-A100-4DAD-8F0D-7EA6C0E15521.jpeg

87C6A2B0-1BEF-43D2-A47F-7EFAD94399E2.jpeg

• Like 6