Jump to content
Stephen Blair

Unimogs rock thread

Recommended Posts

21 minutes ago, Conor Wright said:

From experience, that particular company is expensive and not always straightforward to do a deal with. I tried to buy a mog off them a couple of years ago only to find that even though it was advertised for sale they were unable to sell it at the time as it hadn't been examined by their mechanics, a week later they told me they were waiting on confirmation from its owner that he was happy to sell it. I took my money to germany and bought exact same spec with significantly less hours and no complications for 12k less. 

Have contacted them regarding parts and have rarely found them to be competitive with european prices. 

When I ordered a workshop manual from stock it arrived three weeks later with no valid explanation as to why it took so long.

Whilst they are friendly and knowledgeable I cant see the logic in their pricing. 

 

Did you buy from a dealer or direct from public? Like most, I quite fancy one, but they can get out of hand with costs it seems. Would something at 10-15k end up costing a fortune to put/keep right? Mine wouldn’t do masses. Pull dump trailer or digger, chipper or bale shredder on pto etc no more than 10 mile on road

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

 

If my near 20 year old memories are  to be trusted the above firm was helpful and reputable.

I also talked to AV but they , from memory, were a bit unhelpful, my impression being that one should simply write them a cheque without so many newbie questions, quite unlike AC Price's helpful/unpushy responses.

I did actually manage to rationalize that a Unimog was not best suited to working in peat-moss, hence I did not proceed.

Edited by difflock

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LeeGray said:

Did you buy from a dealer or direct from public? Like most, I quite fancy one, but they can get out of hand with costs it seems. Would something at 10-15k end up costing a fortune to put/keep right? Mine wouldn’t do masses. Pull dump trailer or digger, chipper or bale shredder on pto etc no more than 10 mile on road

Dealer. Jurgen greiner. A bit "german" in manner but all paperwork was in order and the machine was as advertised. He was so confident of it that he offered to drive it to my door. I declined as it was cheaper to get a back load through an international haulier! You would find a 416 for that money easily enough a 424 might (will)need some TLC at that price, or be lacking in extras, which are costly to add afterwards. 

They are not the best dump trailer machines my tipper which takes 6 ton is enough behind it, plus two ton in the back. No way would I go for a twin axle 16 ton full fat dump trailer.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Might be a bit of a ‘how long is a piece of string’ question but would a 3 ton digger go on a u1000 unimog tipper body ok? Size wise I think it would but would it get up ramps and turn through 90 degrees if a muckspreader or something else was on the the linkage or tow hitch. 20” wheels so not massively heigh but ramps would have to be short to stow in bed. 

Weight wise would 3 ton on the back and 6t muckspreader (empty) be alright?

 

cheers for any input 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, LeeGray said:

Might be a bit of a ‘how long is a piece of string’ question but would a 3 ton digger go on a u1000 unimog tipper body ok? Size wise I think it would but would it get up ramps and turn through 90 degrees if a muckspreader or something else was on the the linkage or tow hitch. 20” wheels so not massively heigh but ramps would have to be short to stow in bed. 

Weight wise would 3 ton on the back and 6t muckspreader (empty) be alright?

 

cheers for any input 

Hmm, the U1000 I used to drive. Think you’d struggle to fit a 3tonner in the bed-or at least the tracks/blade would probably just fit on but no room for arm. My Herbst dump trailer is 12ft long and even that has the arm hanging out the back a fair bit. 

 

Just googled specs- short wheel base is same length as tracks so definitely wouldn’t fit one in that- maybe a long wheelbase variation?

Edited by Matthew Storrs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
From experience, that particular company is expensive and not always straightforward to do a deal with. I tried to buy a mog off them a couple of years ago only to find that even though it was advertised for sale they were unable to sell it at the time as it hadn't been examined by their mechanics, a week later they told me they were waiting on confirmation from its owner that he was happy to sell it. I took my money to germany and bought exact same spec with significantly less hours and no complications for 12k less. 
Have contacted them regarding parts and have rarely found them to be competitive with european prices. 
When I ordered a workshop manual from stock it arrived three weeks later with no valid explanation as to why it took so long.
Whilst they are friendly and knowledgeable I cant see the logic in their pricing. 
 

They’re just robbing so and so’s
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/08/2019 at 09:19, difflock said:

 

 

If my near 20 year old memories are  to be trusted the above firm was helpful and reputable.

I also talked to AV but they , from memory, were a bit unhelpful, my impression being that one should simply write them a cheque without so many newbie questions, quite unlike AC Price's helpful/unpushy responses.

I did actually manage to rationalize that a Unimog was not best suited to working in peat-moss, hence I did not proceed.

Or as AV said to me (in jest) sign a blank cheque and send it up and they’ll do the rest.

 

im also in the “I’d love a mog, could put it to use a lot, but costs when they go wrong put me off” camp.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i wouldn’t use atkinson vos if they were  the last company on the planet

awfull service

workmanship

after-sales 

someone once said to me that people who buy unimogs use atkinson vos and people who keep unimogs use acprice

 

i only ever use acprice now for bits for my mog and if i had to send it somewhere for work it’d go to them as well

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Featured Adverts

About

Arbtalk.co.uk is a hub for the arboriculture industry in the UK.  
If you're just starting out and you need business, equipment, tech or training support you're in the right place.  If you've done it, made it, got a van load of oily t-shirts and have decided to give something back by sharing your knowledge or wisdom,  then you're welcome too.
If you would like to contribute to making this industry more effective and safe then welcome.
Just like a living tree, it'll always be a work in progress.
Please have a look around, sign up, share and contribute the best you have.

See you inside.

The Arbtalk Team

Follow us

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.