Unimogs rock thread

Stephen Blair

Hello Geoff

Consider sourcing one from Germany,they are 30% less expensive and the selection is vast.

Have a look around on here there are 63 Unimogs for sale

Mercedes-Benz Unimog Angebote bei mobile.de

Or here where there are 218 for sale

Kommunal/Sonderfahrzeuge Unimog gebraucht kaufen bei AutoScout24 Trucks

Remember the square cab mogs are getting long in the tooth now,the hour clock on the engine can tell lies,aquaint yourself with where the cabs get rusty (the sound proofing can hide a rusty cab).

Best of luck!

Hi mike.

Thanks for all the info much appreciated. I'll have a good look through.

Cheers Geoff

1400 is only 7500KG GVW, 1600 is same size, but around 11000KG GVW.

surprised at how many do not realise this, our 1250 with rear pto is at its legal limits empty by the time you factor in chip box and pto chipper hanging off rear axle. Still it took the weight well even when full but doesn't make it right.

We have since sold the pto chipper and the mog is up for sale, it's a nice unit with a good at spec.

The reason we are selling it is it's not ideal for us and our heavy tree work realistically you have to aim for 1600 and above.

There is a place for the small mogs in arb but you have to carefully consider how you will use them.

We mostly run 1850 L38's and above as these are 12000-14000kg depending on spec.

Our next issue is towing our big mogs are kinda limited to either 9-13ton in the current set-up which is giving me a big headache.

• Like 1

Out of interest, have you looked at a 1400? Or 1450? It's a good physical size for domestic and will hold its own in the woods, good horse power ( about 150 - 160hp from the factory) and the biggest power in the small mog chassis. I've a couple of friends with them, I was suprised at them. I'd have gone straight for a 1600 or bigger if I was looking for an upgrade till I'd seem my mates.

Otherwise, I've heard alex price has a nice 1600 in at the moment :thumbup:

Hi Casto,

In answer to your first question yes the mog will have a dedicated trailer with hiab attached as this will replace my roof mount crane on my forestry tractor and timber trailer for shifting timber.

I have had a look at the u1400 and they are nice bits of kit, a friend of mine has one with a big crane mounted behind the cab and winches on the front and rear. And uses it to generally pull anything that gets stuck, unstuck!

The only thing that puts me off is the GVW of 7.5 tonne. As I'll be running a front mount chipper and dropping a toolbox on the rear links to balance it out, plus weight of chip box then fill it with chip I'll be well overweight.

So the conclusion is u1600 or greater. As the GVW is about 10.5 or more.

I've seen Ac prices 1600, lovely clean mog but it's right hand drive and the chipper I want will be reverse drive already so the spout will be right in my veiw. And I'll kick myself if I don't set it up right first time.

So it's left hand drive all the way, I just need to win the lottery;)

• 2 weeks later...

As a reluctant outsider to the Mog owners club (I just can't justify it although I seem to be fighting my urges on a monthly basis!) am I missing something with this one U2150L38 | Atkinson Vos

which has been for sale for a while?

It "looks", to the uninitiated, to be a great unit, what am I missing that has left it unsold for so long??

As a reluctant outsider to the Mog owners club (I just can't justify it although I seem to be fighting my urges on a monthly basis!) am I missing something with this one U2150L38 | Atkinson Vos

It "looks", to the uninitiated, to be a great unit, what am I missing that has left it unsold for so long??

Its huge!! and has a very, very basic spec. Not something I would want.

Very narrow user band.

Also its not super minty or original so its not in the "mega bucks bracket" that suoer rich vehicle enthusiasts would want.

Certainly wouldn't be spending money with them if you can help it