Unimogs rock thread

Stephen Blair

Yes, the extra hp is nice to have. Just need to be steady when driving it, don't fancy a new gear box in it :001_rolleyes:, no turbo on it... yet. I've not found a decent way of doing it and I'm not just gonna cut a hole in the engine cover.

How do you get 165HP without a turbo?

165 from a na engine isnt to difficult, remember the om352 and om366 engines are fitted into an awfull lot of other things than just mogs, with the right pump and injector combination anythings possible..........just remember hellgeth are getting over330hp out of them!!!!

It wasn't me who had the engine built so I don't know the full spec on it, but was told it had a lot more to give and was built with bigger intentions than what it is at the moment.

She's enough of a beast as she is so I think she will stay the same... unless I find a nice turbo manifold that fits :thumbup:

• 4 weeks later...

Evening all. just after a bit of confirmation I'm aiming for the right machine. Finally got the business to a point where I can justify a mog chipper trailer outfit. Previously I've been running a tractor with roof mount and timber trailer but this gets a bit long in the tooth for long journeys. But great for woodland and local work. In addition I have a Landy 14.5m picker and 110 tipper, a tranny tipper, and box van, plus tipper trailer and plant trailers.

I've been and tried various mogs. Left and right hand drive u1000 up to u 1600 and Ideally I've come to the conclusion for my commercial and private work the most versatile machine for me would be Front mount chipper, Minimum u1600 left hand drive full ag spec with trailer. Any hints or tips to look out for or in general if I'm in the right area? Looking at designing a chip box for the back as I think the standard ones offered by vos and Ac price can be improved or bettered. Help, advice, pictures much appreciated.

Thanks in advance geoff

Evening all. just after a bit of confirmation I'm aiming for the right machine. Finally got the business to a point where I can justify a mog chipper trailer outfit. Previously I've been running a tractor with roof mount and timber trailer but this gets a bit long in the tooth for long journeys. But great for woodland and local work. In addition I have a Landy 14.5m picker and 110 tipper, a tranny tipper, and box van, plus tipper trailer and plant trailers.

I've been and tried various mogs. Left and right hand drive u1000 up to u 1600 and Ideally I've come to the conclusion for my commercial and private work the most versatile machine for me would be Front mount chipper, Minimum u1600 left hand drive full ag spec with trailer. Any hints or tips to look out for or in general if I'm in the right area? Looking at designing a chip box for the back as I think the standard ones offered by vos and Ac price can be improved or bettered. Help, advice, pictures much appreciated.

Thanks in advance geoff

Hello Geoff

Consider sourcing one from Germany,they are 30% less expensive and the selection is vast.

Have a look around on here there are 63 Unimogs for sale

Mercedes-Benz Unimog Angebote bei mobile.de

Or here where there are 218 for sale

Kommunal/Sonderfahrzeuge Unimog gebraucht kaufen bei AutoScout24 Trucks

Remember the square cab mogs are getting long in the tooth now,the hour clock on the engine can tell lies,aquaint yourself with where the cabs get rusty (the sound proofing can hide a rusty cab).

Best of luck!

Out of interest, have you looked at a 1400? Or 1450? It's a good physical size for domestic and will hold its own in the woods, good horse power ( about 150 - 160hp from the factory) and the biggest power in the small mog chassis. I've a couple of friends with them, I was suprised at them. I'd have gone straight for a 1600 or bigger if I was looking for an upgrade till I'd seem my mates.

Otherwise, I've heard alex price has a nice 1600 in at the moment :thumbup:

Out of interest, have you looked at a 1400? Or 1450? It's a good physical size for domestic and will hold its own in the woods, good horse power ( about 150 - 160hp from the factory) and the biggest power in the small mog chassis. I've a couple of friends with them, I was suprised at them. I'd have gone straight for a 1600 or bigger if I was looking for an upgrade till I'd seem my mates.

Otherwise, I've heard alex price has a nice 1600 in at the moment :thumbup:

1400 is only 7500KG GVW, 1600 is same size, but around 11000KG GVW.