good tips on getting more work from your client

Bob Rolfe

Or you can start higher than the price you want then get barted down think they get a bargain, works with some.

Although I agree with the bit of tidying up, customers dont see that youve just taken down 8 ton of beech tree and not damaged a thing. They only care if the garden is tidy :confused1:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Or you can start higher than the price you want then get barted down think they get a bargain, works with some.

Although I agree with the bit of tidying up, customers dont see that youve just taken down 8 ton of beech tree and not damaged a thing. They only care if the garden is tidy :confused1:

They don't barter in Suffolk, infact it offends them..:thumbdown:

punctuality is good,as is politeness.always turn up clean with your shirt tucked in,regrdless of what state you finish up in.i also find when people say 'any cheaper for cash' if you say 'no sorry,i have to account for it' it shows them an honest professional businesslike approach

A tidy site is unfortuantely as has already been said, the most important thing for getting that word of mouth going right. But having avery good horticultural knowledge helps too. Many people with large enough gardens to have trees, are often keen gardeners, so it pays to know your onions (as it were). Having one botanist/plantsman in a team is a bonus.

i think theres a difference between being cheap and being competertive you pikies are very cheap and sometimes they take every thing away from the site but joe bloggs doesnt aways realise that its going to be dumped around the corner turning up to price a job dressed well and being competertive shows you know what you are doing are that you are going to carry out the work in a professional manor this can sway a few quid here and there in your favor. Its a case of are you going to buy your beans at aldi and have a bitter after taste or are you going to buy then at asda.

turning up to price a job dressed well and being competertive shows you know what you are doing are that you are going to carry out the work in a professional manor this can sway a few quid here and there in your favor. Its a case of are you going to buy your beans at aldi and have a bitter after taste or are you going to buy then at asda.

ASDA is Wall mart is Evil. Anyone can buy a t-shirt with their own logo. It means you bought a T-shirt. The perception is that it means professional. I understand you are talking about this perception. I think it's a great shame that we have to wear substandard cotton T-shirts, or Cheap fleeces that don't fit for climbing. Having said that I wear some company gear, especially as we have some really good soft shell jackets. I personally only enjoy wearing uniforms at orgies.

I have a really shredded Berghaus mid layer which is the best bit of kit I have. it's what i turn up in most mornings. I'm confidant that any misconceptions about my professionality based on my tramp Chic are quickly nipped in the bud when I start talking to the customer. Dress code at clubs is based on the same ridiculous misconceptions about clothing. But I agree that Many customers are ignorant to the point of believing this. Wear what you like but do a lush job.

I alway dress smart casual when looking at work, but as Jason says, I ware whats comfy when I go to do the job, the way you work will soon show if your a pro or not.

One thing I do is tell the customer that it will be me doing the job, I do not send a crew, me and my man are the crew.

There were a few cases where gypos were going round in really fancy smart work clothes and sign written vans. The head gypo would knock on the door looking all smart, customer would think "oh lovely, he's proffesional" give them the job and then the roughest looking things would turn up for the grunt work.

I know that it shouldn't matter, but people(customers) see things and make assumptions. Eg- Shiney new gear means that he MUST be good.....:thumbdown: