Hedge work Prices

White Noise

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The price i come up with is dictated by : if i have a large electricity bill in or i need a new cartier watch, but if im doing fine i sometimes give the client money to work with trees just because tree work is so super dooper brilliant.:001_rolleyes::lol::thumbup:

You'll never get the same money for hedge cutting as you will rope and harness tree work, price to whatever your market will pay........

That's my take on it as well Lee, but I won't drop too much as it's still hard graft!

Good repeat business, and, as Mick has said, if you work hard and fast, and still to a good standard, you will reap the rewards.

I find hedgecutting more tiring than climbing.

Some days I will pay wages and not earn any money, if I feel what I sm doing is for the greater good of my business or it makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside.

No too jobs are the same, I do not charge for my time, I charge for my skill and experience.

I charge what I want for doing the job. If you guys feel your way is the right way and you are not where you feel you should be, then try second guessing your first initial reaction and thought. If you are vary happy with the way things are going, don't touch the steering wheel :)

I would agree with that. There is absolutley no reason for a fully qualified, CS 30,31,38,39, arb insured tree surgeon with tipper truck and 12" chipper to charge the same hourly rate for trimming a hedge as he would topping a 50ft Beech just because of his running costs. If your costs are too high then leave it for a professional gardener/landscaper to do, just because they dont have qualifications or arb insurance doesn't mean they are any less capable of doing the job. The customer should't have to pay over the top prices for hedge trimming because of your high running costs!

How do you work that out then? If you go to a garage and have a basic service they will charge the same houly rate as they would for changing a gear box, might take a few hrs more but they charge the same rate.

IMO its not the ACTUAL value for money the customer is getting its the PERSEEVED (excuse the spelling) value that dictates price.

A client wouldn't think it was good value to pay £300 (say) for two men to spend a day cutting their hedges, but might think it excellent value for two men to spend half a day felling the big tree in the garden for the same £300.

Same costs to us.

I'm afraid its a sad fact of life that Old Tom dosen't have our overheads and you'll never beat him on price. Don't even try

Two days conny bashing for £400.....If i was skint i'd do it.. but i'm not :lol:

As forhaving a minimum day rate....I'm with Steve on this. We've just had two days where all i've earnt is the lads wages, doing work for a contracts manager who in the past has speeded our payments up, and done loads more favours for us.

Got a job last week from a sheltered housing Co. because earlier on in the year we'd done some hedge removal work for an old dear (lovely tea and bickies ALL morning) and i'd knocked £50 off the bill. I'd thought it'd take us while about 2 ish, we were done for 12 and i felt guilty charging her the full quoted price :blushing:

Turns out her daughter runs around a dozen care homes so it was £50 well spent.

Karma i think its called :thumbup:

I agree with mrtree, If anyone does not understand their cost of doing business they should work for someone that does. You may not like that choice but working to earn a profit not just covering your fixed/variable cost is the bottom line.

Or maybe they are unsure about a certain aspect of their business and feel confident enough to ask a simple question on a public forum as they know most members will give them some friendly advice.

If I choose to do a job for nothing because I want to or feel a moral obligation to a customer to provide a service I will. I am not running a charity but some jobs are only worth a tenner, some I do for a coffee.

there is running a business by the book, but the trouble with that is a book can be closed very easily and then re opened at a diferent page another day, but that's not the real world. :)