improvised chainsaw trousers

danroker1987

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chainsaw trouser Eutopia

Replaceable outers waterproof for winter and breathable for summer versions and maybe high viz as well.

optional type A and C csaw protection layers, all replaceable components.

Optional sealed pockets

optional leg lengths from 30" to 36"

The drying horse to hang them after washing to prevent heat damage.

This way a system would allow you to adapt to the weather, the job and if you ripped the outer you replace it.

Now to do this would mean every component gets tested on its own and in pairs of inner and outer, this would add a lot of money to any potential mfg project. The fastening method from c/saw layer to outer would also need to be tested and approved by whatever method but it must be a fixed connection.

If and it's a big "if" what would you pay for such a system ?

All new developments and ideas start with the evaluation

Define the objective

Examine the options

Consider the outcome

Investigate it

Do it

Evaluate

And the dosh to make it happen

Chainsaw trouser Eutopia

Replaceable outers waterproof for winter and breathable for summer versions and maybe high viz as well.

optional type A and C csaw protection layers, all replaceable components.

Optional sealed pockets

optional leg lengths from 30" to 36"

The drying horse to hang them after washing to prevent heat damage.

This way a system would allow you to adapt to the weather, the job and if you ripped the outer you replace it.

Now to do this would mean every component gets tested on its own and in pairs of inner and outer, this would add a lot of money to any potential mfg project. The fastening method from c/saw layer to outer would also need to be tested and approved by whatever method but it must be a fixed connection.

If and it's a big "if" what would you pay for such a system ?

All new developments and ideas start with the evaluation

Define the objective

Examine the options

Consider the outcome

Investigate it

Do it

Evaluate

And the dosh to make it happen

i dont think people generally appreciate(or have any idea) what goes in to producing chainsaw trousers and the costs involved along the way...hence some of the posts in this thread.

The money has already been invested and recouped. Manufacturers don't invent layers of kevlar every time they trot out a new pair of strides.

Stretch Airs are brilliant, but the zips are shite and have been for years.

My local dry cleaner lady didn't invest millions in working it out -

1) Find decent zip

2) Sew decent zip into trousers

The whole R&D tune is getting a bit repetitive.

Agreed on the zips Mark, but it's not just the Stretch Airs we had 2 pairs of Hi flex back today with the zips gone, as well as other makes zips. I think you guys use your fly to much when out on the job.:001_tt2:

I know you're bored of the R & D thing, but I know every time they change the trouser design, even if only slight, it costs them around the 10K mark to get it through all the testing.

As things change and materials improve (not zips:001_tongue:) they will bring out more new trousers with the same ongoing costs.

You guys need to tell them to stop and you're happy with what's there and the cost might start to drop - but you know as well as I do, you and me are always looking for the next best thing.:001_smile:

Because they are not very good?

Actually I have a picture of my friends bloody knee after a MS200t chain went straight through a pair of HiFlex and that was on a chain slow down.

I've got a picture of my bloody knee after a ms200t went through a pair of stretch airs when the chain was slowing down

Agreed on the zips Mark, but it's not just the Stretch Airs we had 2 pairs of Hi flex back today with the zips gone, as well as other makes zips. I think you guys use your fly to much when out on the job.:001_tt2:

I know you're bored of the R & D thing, but I know every time they change the trouser design, even if only slight, it costs them around the 10K mark to get it through all the testing.

As things change and materials improve (not zips:001_tongue:) they will bring out more new trousers with the same ongoing costs.

You guys need to tell them to stop and you're happy with what's there and the cost might start to drop - but you know as well as I do, you and me are always looking for the next best thing.:001_smile:

Yes but the flipside of that argument is also that we are constantly told that we need this stuff by those that make these products. There are a gazillio products out there that are unnecessary, but a manufacturer will tell us its the next top thing to have to have, and sometimes even stop selling the existing model so that we have no choice but to buy the so-called improved version......eg the ms362 chainsaw etc etc. The cynic in me wonders for whose benefit this R&D is actually carried out:sneaky2: