So, how did we all start up our own buisness and get to where we are?

button1803

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started at 16 as a yard boy, loved the chances to go out with the lads on odd ocasions, (stacking on trucks back then no Chippers!) couldnt bring my self to get a proper job as my parents used to say, 18 years on started on my own, kept it real now employ six of my guys who I hope love it just as much as I did.

Started college doing a course in public services, wanting to eventually be a police officer. Part of the course was to do 2 weeks work experience so managed to get my dad (who at the time worked for Stoke-onTrent Council's tree gang) to get me work with grounds and maintenance. My dad then offered me the chance to work with the tree gang for a couple of days.....loved it! Left my college course and worked for a couple of companies as a groundy round the Stoke area.

Fast forward to 2008 where I decided to go traveling. Spent 4 months in NZ skiing and then moved on to Australia. Worked for a company in a place called Coffs Harbour and then worked in Melbourne for 9 months for a couple of companies......Still loving it!!!

2010 - Returned from Australia and decided to enroll at Moulton College on a foundation degree in Arboriculture at the age of 24.

Almost at the end of the first year and really enjoying learning about the details of the industry and the science behind it all. Can't wait to put all my skills and knowledge that I am learning at uni to good use when I get back to the real world of work!

What the future holds.....who knows???

Margaret Thatcher talkin on TV,

looks so sincere as she says to me,

There'd be no unemployment if,

you all used a bit of initiative

I was on the dole I was broke n bored

Says I, I'd take her at her word

Got a loan from the credit union man,

And bought meself a transit van.

Me next step up the ladder now,

I bought meself an auld 020T

And the rest as they say is history.............:lol:

[ame]

[/ame] Edited by Lee Winger

• 2 months later...

hi dude , its dave from woodland ways interested in the alstor you had on your page as it is me in the photo and was confused why you was using my website picture as yours , i have a business called woodland ways doing traditional woodland crafts ,courses river bank restoration and woodland management and run a alstor 8x8 .

the alstor in your photo has extendable bed on so can take 2 rows of 6's easily or 7's , joystick controls and a hydraulic remote winch. i use the machine for my own woodland management and hire it out with driver , the tonnage's which can be forwarded are surprising anyway not having a dig just wanted to know why my photo was used

dave

Left school with one CSE

Spent six years working in a camping shop.

Saw an advert in a surfing mag for a degree course, was given an unconditional offer, which was handy as i had no qualification. Left college with a 2:2

Worked as a volunteer with Cornwall wildlife trust, where i got my chainsaw tickets.

Got a job in Dorset, met my wife.

Moved to Pembrokeshire, got a job with Tillhill doing powerline clearance, then made redundant.

Looked after children for 18 months.

Started a partnership which lasted 5 years before we went our seperate ways.

Now working on my own, with help from various Arbtalk members.