Fair Fuel campaign

tommer9

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

.....how high does it have to go before people start full on protesting with go slows on the motorway etc etc.

Between roadworks, congestion, etc I wonder now what the actual difference would be to go slow in protest?

Back in 1995 I started monitoring fuel usage for my vehicle at the time and continued ever since. At that time the cheapest fuel I paid for was at 50.9p / litre (petrol). I got rid of my last petrol engined vehicle in 2010 and the most I paid was 124.9p / litre). For the past year I have been running a diesel (which used to be cheaper than petrol) and so far I have had to pay up to 138.0p / litre!

As already stated if tax is removed from fuel then it will be applied elsewhere, however I don't think any tax should double (or more) the basic selling price before tax is added.

Proposals are all ready in to government to have a minimum price per unit of alcohol to curb binge drinking. Adding extra tax on top of that would see more imports, home brewing and black market sales.

Do people not understand the way fuel duty works??????

Its a % of the price, so the government is getting far more tax as a result of the increase. They could fix the tax at a set amount per gallon, the price would rise by much less and they would still get the same revenue as budgeted for without the price rise.

As for smokers not paying their way, thats a complete joke. Smokers do us none smokers a huge favor, as they pay way more than their fair share in tax. The most expensive patients in the NHS, are the very elderly (which smokers very rarely are, for obvious reasons, same goes for the fat)

And if you go down the route of making people pay for self imposed health issues, where would you stop?? Why should others pay for some fool who falls out of a tree??

Why do we value the valueless (inc football stars and their wags, soap stars and the other rich and fatuous) and underpay the invaluable (Teachers, Police, Medical Staff, Armed Forces etc)

Why do we import food when we can grow are own?

:thumbup1::thumbup1:

Think of the students who made a pretty big protest about tuition fees; the cost of which they only have to pay back once they earn enough. Yet not a whimper of public outcry over the banks has manifested on the streets; it doesn't matter how they contribute to the country surely, it's the moral principle. It's like me charging £1000 to remove a big oak, smashing it onto the customers £3.5million house, not even saying sorry and then expecting a massive bonus on top of my quote!!!

:thumbup1::thumbup1:

Think of the students who made a pretty big protest about tuition fees; the cost of which they only have to pay back once they earn enough. Yet not a whimper of public outcry over the banks has manifested on the streets; it doesn't matter how they contribute to the country surely, it's the moral principle. It's like me charging £1000 to remove a big oak, smashing it onto the customers £3.5million house, not even saying sorry and then expecting a massive bonus on top of my quote!!!

But what good did it do them??????????

Do people not understand the way fuel duty works??????....

Often I think not. I think the thing that annoys me most is that the Fuel Duty (set by the budget) is applied first, which then creates the nett cost that VAT is applied to. So for those who can't reclaim VAT you end up paying for a tax of a 'tax'.

getting back to tommers original post....

who thinks there will be another full on protest over fuel prices?

remember the last protest erupted when the price of petrol hit 80p / litre. Today i went past a petrol station selling at 140p / litre. how high does it have to go before people start full on protesting with go slows on the motorway etc etc.

it would be great to do a protest or more again like the last time but i fear due to the thousands of new stupid public order and suspition of terorism and all that old bull kaka that the labour governmet passed the old bill would be forced to arrest most people who blockaded a fuel depot or garage or did a go slow on the motorways ! its how ridiculus this country has become bowing down to stupid laws that make it impossible to carry on ! it really sadens me !

For the record i remeber buying diesel when i first started driving in 1995 at 45.5p a litre :) wish it was still around that price now !!!!