MS200 One Handed follow on poll

RobArb

What should/can we do about one handed top handled saw use?  

231 members have voted

1. 1. What should/can we do about one handed top handled saw use?

• should one handed use be allowed
    • should one handed use be banned
    • should one handed use be covered more via training in Cs39 (like a pass plus)
    • should one handed use have its own CS module
    • should work positioning be taught to a specified level in more depth on Cs39
    • should cs39 be longer than a 3 day course
    • should top handles only be sold to people carrying a possible pass plus cert
    • should cutting and holding be common practice
    • should cutting and holding be banned
    • other comments in thread please

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe a follow up to this would be to find out how many are willing to admit cutting themselves or having a close shave while using a MS200 one handed as opposed to those that have accidents using ground saws with both hands.

In ten years I've had two close shaves and one cut.

One using a rear handled saw above my head when I first come into the industry without the strength to keep it there :001_smile:

The second was in conifers with a 200t when it kicked back on the multistems, I was balancing on ladders because there was no foothold and the ladders moved

The cut was when I crossed my arms when cut and holding and I knew I was taking an extreme risk.

All due to stupidity or inexperience :biggrin:

I'll admit mine then. Dismantling a tree one limb dropped foliage first into the ground with the butt end jammed against the trunk. Rather than lower myself a little further, take my time and do the job properly I reached down with the saw in one hand and undercut the limb about 3 feet out from where it was jammed against the trunk. There was more weight and tension in the limb than I thought and it flicked the saw down into my leg. It cut straight through the protective material and made quite a nasty cut in my lower leg. So now I either keep all my bits and bobs well out of the way, weigh up the situation properly before using the saw one handed or just don't.

It is easier to teach a good cutter how to climb than a good tree climber how to cut.

If you are fit and strong you will find it easier to work in a tree.

Some people should not be up there, simples. Ok it might hurt their feelings but they are easier to heal than a chainsaw accident.

The dangers of working 1 handed is the fact you can not use the chain break and you do not have the control than you would with 2 hands, i use chainsaw a few inches from my face at times, BUT i always make sure i am in a position where if the saw kicks back, i will knock on the break. Now i am not talking about working a large crown, i mean stuck in a conny hedge and it being so tight there isnt enough room to work a silky back in forth.

It's a thread which will go on forever I was trained old school and i do my work without having to think step by step it's just natural I remember my first day at a countywide firm and doing a takedown which was only 30ft I felt under pressure being watched h &s wise so instead of a usual cut and hold move as in hold a branch and do a cut 2 foot away I had to do a step cut but it broke early and I naturally quickly reached with a hand over the top of a running saw! That would mever happen but I was in an uncomfortable position having to think too much. It's got to depend on the user in my opinion but if your client wants you to work a slower certain way do it and price it to suit

I think one thing is, you learn from your mistakes.

Whci leads me to a question :biggrin:

Why not teach the lessons from our mistakes to people new to the industry instead of them trying one handed techniques for themslevs without in depth training and them having to learn from their own mistakes.

I think this is why the statistics might be higher than they should be, because inevitably, people will use the saw one handed and the training establishment know this, but refuse to aknowledge it.

Think I'd prefer to be using a saw one handed in a tree rather than using a saw two handed at face level. I've had enough chainbrakes failing to come on to not want to have a saw that close to my face.

In the position i was in i chose that technique because it was the safest at that given time and there are times reaching below you 1 handed is the safest.:001_rolleyes:

Not saying either is perfectly safe, just safer:biggrin:

Good post Ben

Confidence with saw use and familiarity with the saw comes with experience and until experience with normal saws is gained, there will always be high risk with the 200t.

For example, I watched someone the other day putting in a gob cut, they checked it time and time again, leaning round the stem to see where their cuts were and whether they were aligned.

Experienced cutters dont need to do this, because they are confident with their saw use. They very rarely have to check their gob cuts and can line them up perfect everytime as most people can that have had a lot of experience.

If you are using a top handled saw, your mind should be clear of things that should come automatically, if that makes sense ? :001_smile:

very good point. i notice that ,in ireland anyway, a lot of young lads have gone straight from cs30 ,31 to 38 39 with little or no experience of chainsaw work whereas us fossils spent years sawing in the woods before getting into climbing

My first year climbing i used the back-handled equivalent of the 020. I think there is benefit to learning with a back-handle saw in a tree to encourage good cutting technique. If your cuts are bang on then you don't generally need to use one-handed. The only real gain is speed.

However i would definitely say in some circumstances where cuts could potentially fail from inaccuracy or wind perhaps i would probably use one-handed. For example if cutting small branches and a free fall drop is not an option (power-lines, greenhouse ect) it feels safer one-handed then doing your cuts, lowering your your saw gently with the hope it hasn't blow off before you get hold of it! I know we can use slings etc but not always practical.

So in general use i think one-handed use is a bad idea but occasionally is a safer option.

I use to be quite confident using one-handed for a long time until i caught my fingers resulting in tendon reconstruction and physio for 8 weeks! I wouldn't go back to just a back-handle in a tree but it has definitely made me more aware.