MS200 One Handed follow on poll

RobArb

What should/can we do about one handed top handled saw use?  

231 members have voted

1. 1. What should/can we do about one handed top handled saw use?

• should one handed use be allowed
    • should one handed use be banned
    • should one handed use be covered more via training in Cs39 (like a pass plus)
    • should one handed use have its own CS module
    • should work positioning be taught to a specified level in more depth on Cs39
    • should cs39 be longer than a 3 day course
    • should top handles only be sold to people carrying a possible pass plus cert
    • should cutting and holding be common practice
    • should cutting and holding be banned
    • other comments in thread please

Following on from the cut and hold thread and MS200 One handed thread i have decided to use this subject in my controversial health and safety report (the controversy being people still do it regularly) and to try to assess how this matter affects us all..

so if you could be so polite to spend a few seconds to tick an option on the poll that would be great, all opinions are welcomed to even though some may be a repaet of various threads that exist already.

I think i have set it up so multiple options on the poll can be selected.

Thanks in advance:thumbup:

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you could never lagitimise 1 handed use, as it would be like teaching peoplw how to speed when they are learning to drive.

If the current guidlines were followed IMHO the number of accidents cut l arm would plumbet massivley. every single year i see at least 3 people on a cource as they have unziped them selves and thought they better re-train/get trained.

the question about the bit of AFAG where it says only if you can preserve safe working ie 2 attach, and you cant get a decent work position is when one handed for that op should happen, by the very virtue of that description, it is a harder tree, and a novice should not be on the cource.

my thought

kev

New climbers should not be allowed top handled saws, they should be given the heaviest saw they can lift with a small bar, that means they will have to get into a good work position before cutting a branch, if they can not do this or be to scared to get further out then they shouldnt be in a tree.

The first saw i had was a heavy old husky with no chain break, terrifying, but you made sure there was no possible way it could come back and get you. Also fitness, there should be a fitness test and a medical, and i mean a tree climbers fitness test.

I do use an 020t, if i use it 1 handed then the saw is below my waist and to my side. I used to 1 hand everything when i was younger, but tennis elbow and a saw into my ballistics soon put a stop to that.

Edited by Stephen Blair

No offence Kev but if we work on your driving theory we would still be using a man with a red flag walking in front of us and driving at no more than 5 mph. Things evolve and sometimes I wonder if common sense gets thrown out the window to allow for nanny state rules to dictate what we should and shouldn't do. People will use a saw one handed so why not teach people the safest possible way of handling the saw one handed rather than just saying it's not allowed. Maybe at least admitting there's a problem and trying to do something about it will reduce the number of accidents.

If the current guidlines were followed IMHO the number of accidents cut l arm would plumbet massivley. every single year i see at least 3 people on a cource as they have unziped them selves and thought they better re-train/get trained.

I bet those people getting retrained are not experienced tree workers Kev.

The above statement to me sets the alarm bells ringing that training is not rigorous enough. :001_smile:

What really pee's me off is that accidents are blamed on one handing whereas they are really caused by inexperience, lack of training or plain stupidity or a combination of all three

One handing is perfectly safe, if you use your common sense, don't rush and think about each cut, just as you should for two hand cutting.

One handing has it's place and should be recognised as a ligitimate technique. How can you frown on it's use, but yet include it (albeit very little) in training.

That is like saying speeding is illegal, but it's ok to do it every now and again when circumstances allow.

Either include it in training or don't, or say it's ok to do it or not :biggrin:

New climbers should not be allowed top handled saws, they should be given the heaviest saw they can lift with a small bar, that means they will have to get into a good work position before cutting a branch, if they can not do this or be to scared to get further out then they shouldnt be in a tree.

The first saw i had was a heavy old husky with no chain break, terrifying, but you made sure there was no possible way it could come back and get you. Also fitness, there should be a fitness test and a medical, and i mean a tree climbers fitness test.

I do use an 020t, if i use it 1 handed then the saw is below my waist and to my side. I used to 1 hand everything when i was younger, but tennis elbow and a saw into my ballistics soon put a stop to that.

steve,, there's no need to use it one handed if it's below your waist and to your side,, by adjusting work position slightly the need to use one handed is completely eradicated..

just my inexperienced tuppence worth..:biggrin:

That is like saying speeding is illegal, but it's ok to do it every now and again when circumstances allow.

The trouble with a statement like this is you are forgetting to put chance into the equation, and when it goes wrong you have to put other people into this equation, generally with bad consequences. This is why you are not taught to speed as part of your driving test.

This is why we use a chaninsaw with two hands. If you don't then you are excepting the fact that at some point you will have an accident, and are prepared to deal with the consequences.

In addition to this due to our ligitgatious socitety if we taught people bad practices then the flood gates would be opened to sue employer, and we would end up with the top handled saw being band.

i used to 1 hand quite a bit and it does take its tole on ones joints. as an employer i have to practice what i preach in front of my climbers. cutting 2 handed is so much easier on the body. i see lots of different crews working and the amount of reckless 1 hand cutting,cutting and holding, and cutting with just one attachment is quite disturbing.