lunch breaks and the law?

jrose

The way that I read it (or skimmed it, more to the point) is that the self employed come under the "exemptions", but it doesn't go on to say what the law is for them.

Hm, I might have to google this one.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

O wouldn't sweat it if he's a guy you trust. Have a mates agreement before you start work and that should suffice unless you really want to do everything by the book. My groundy subs to me as and when I need him. We don't stop for breaks unless it's really hot but we finish early. If it turns out to be a long day without breaks he gets paid a little bit extra. It works for us because we are both over 40 and find it hard to get going again once we stop.

I dont think that length of breaks is something thats ever came up at work, in 15 or so years. If we're on a take down, there will be a point where it is more suitabe to stop, grab some food and drink, and crack on. If we're felling we tend to take half an hour to 3/4hr break. All very loose, weather dependent, job dependent, mood dependent? I dont think there is law covering this for s/e labour, just be fair to yourself and those working with you.

But the industry standard for this kind of work in employment would be 1 hour break in every 8 worked. Unpaid of course. Thats why many do 8-5 with an hours breaks, not 9-5 with an hour like shop and office workers who get paid for their breaks.

Yeah right, more like 8 til 6 with at best 10 minutes to buy a sandwich and eat it at my desk or in a meeting....

I have had a range of different office jobs and have never had a contract which included paid lunch break.

I dont think that length of breaks is something thats ever came up at work, in 15 or so years. If we're on a take down, there will be a point where it is more suitabe to stop, grab some food and drink, and crack on. If we're felling we tend to take half an hour to 3/4hr break. All very loose, weather dependent, job dependent, mood dependent? I dont think there is law covering this for s/e labour, just be fair to yourself and those working with you.

exactley the same here, I dont care what the law is it depends on the job, forestry is normally 10 30 stop 15 mins then back to it lunch half hour at 1 then a 15 minute stop at 3 ish but its never clcokwork just 'well do this tank then stop' or I need to sharpen well have tea now.

On tree surgery its more varied usual when the climbers at an easy point to get down and back up and depending if the jobs tight for time etc.

Yeah right, more like 8 til 6 with at best 10 minutes to buy a sandwich and eat it at my desk or in a meeting....

I have had a range of different office jobs and have never had a contract which included paid lunch break.

HAve you ever asked for one?

I work 7-7 most days and eat on the go. The guys that work for me are on 8-5 and they have whatever breaks they want within reason as long as the job gets done and any maintanence etc that is required. Sometimes a whole hour for lunch especialy in the summer, but usually a lot less but as many tea breaks as they want depending on job in hand and the customer.

Somedays they work later than 5 and this is noted and they can leave early another time.

The hours and breaks that I have have no relevance to employees or self employed workers.

Three of the four jobs I've had have been under collective, mass contracts and hence not negotiable but I honestly don't think a paid lunch break in an office job is the norm.

Based on my experience, I completely agree that working late one day may get recognised another day in a more flexible approach to e.g. a need to finish a bit early, but that depends on the manager.

Certainly in my current office job I am lucky to get a sit down, dedicated lunch session away from the desk or work-based meetings more than once a week.

The grass is not greener! I fully acknowledge that I have chosen an office job, so nor am I saying that the grass is greener doing arb work full time. On a nice sunny day in summer I may look out of the window and wish I could be working outdoors, but when it's persisting down or brass monkeys, a warm dry workplace seems attractive.

I don't know about retail - if shop staff get an hour off paid to chomp butties and drink coffee every lunchtime then perhaps I'm in the wrong game!