1. 1. VAT registered

• Registered having reached the threshold
    • Registered before reaching threshold
    • not registered

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Ben, I registered when I exceeded the threshold. It is on a rolling twelve month period so its worth keeping an eye on it. I originally thought it was based on financial year but its not, because of this I did exceed it a little earlier than I thought.I have voted!

Cheers Nick

Thanks for your input guys just interested as someone mentioned about going VAT registered before the threshold especially as im buying a new motor and setting up with some tools, although i mostly just climb for other companys do some training and very occasionally get my own work in it would not really affect who i work for as the majority are VAT reg anyway

I'm not vat registered yet, though I work for a few company's that are. I'm in my first year of trading as a company rather than a sole trader/climber for other tree gangs and casually employing a couple of staff. Still think I will be below the vat bracket, well I hope I will be as a lot of my work is with home-owners and the way things are round my area with so many tree surgeons trying to service such a small area, prices have reduced like mad, £700 worth of work is now only £500 and so on. The last thing I want to be doing is adding vat on then I would be increasing my prices when I'm having to drop them as they already had 2 cheaper quotes!

Speak to your accountant, im in the process of going registered and im pretty sure i will be able to claim back 3 years worth of vat for kit i have purchased!

So no need to register early as you may be able to claim it all back at a later date when your turnover is at the threshold. Also think about the extra paper work and accountancy fees!

I would say if your workload is primarily private work, with the present state of the economy going into voluntary VAT would seriously affect successful quotations.

Then again, I know of a subcontractor that worked for me(and other companies but not doing much domestic work) claimed to be going VAT reg, hence putting his prices up to main contractors, but never actually did:sneaky2::thumbdown: