VAT registered

ben lightfoot

VAT registered  

66 members have voted

1. 1. VAT registered

• Registered having reached the threshold
    • Registered before reaching threshold
    • not registered

I would say if your workload is primarily private work, with the present state of the economy going into voluntary VAT would seriously affect successful quotations.

Then again, I know of a subcontractor that worked for me(and other companies but not doing much domestic work) claimed to be going VAT reg, hence putting his prices up to main contractors, but never actually did:sneaky2::thumbdown:

Really??? Who was this then???? Sounds familiar but the story has got twisted. Care to enlighten us??:thumbdown:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could you set up another company one for private clients and one for commercial? Having one vat registered and the other not?

Yes, but you need separate equipment/vehicles for each Co. You could cross hire your gear to your self, but it starts to get a bit of a gray area and you could end up in bother.

I ran two Co's (with separate gear) for about 8 years, but the cost of two lots of book keeping and extra gear made it a PITA and not that profitable, so my VAT registered Ltd Co bought out my sole trader Co.

I wasn't thinking of doing it was just a thought cheers lads:thumbup: What made me think was a bloke I worked for years ago had his tree firm and a hire firm named after his dogs :lol: His tree firm went bang as I think he was up to something with tax but because the other firm owned the machinery he kept it all :sneaky2: