Lets see your Guns.

Sam Thompson

41 minutes ago, Joe Newton said:

What size target, Mike?

No entirely sure,I think the black bit is 8cm . 10mm between each ring?

The vital zone on that deer target is 30cm across.

20240507_184910.jpg

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

It’s hard to tell from that screen, but the bull actually has a diameter of 4m.

I can remember doing reasonably ok with iron sights on the old SLR before converting to SA80. 

Nowadays with a lot older eyes apart from shotguns everything I own is scoped up. Be bloody pointless otherwise. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mike Hill said:

No entirely sure,I think the black bit is 8cm . 10mm between each ring?

The vital zone on that deer target is 30cm across.

20240507_184910.jpg

So probably an 8cm grouping at 100m with irons. Impressive.

I doubt i could hit my Mrs at that range, and she's about the size of a well fed deer. 

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/11/2016 at 10:14, Stihl123 said:

what's best and quickest way to zero your scope?

just set target, fire, adjust and do it that way?

or have any of you tried using these? clamp it in, fire, then set scope to the point of impact!?

MTM K-Zone Rifle Bench Rest Shooting Hunting Air Gun Scope Zeroing | eBay

A bump from way back 🤔. Quickest way to zero a full bore rifle is to put your rifle on a bench or mound and hold firm with some shot bags or sand bags. Take bolt out and look down the barrel and adjust rifle onto the top of a stake or picket 100 - 150 metres away. When top of stake/ picket is centre of barrel adjust scope onto same point. You’ll then be able to send down a 3 shot group at 100 mts and adjust from that. I use 3 shots not 5 to adjust to save ammo then fire a 5 round group to confirm. If the Zulu’s are coming the first stage is enough to keep their heads down😳

• Like 5

I have always been perplexed by people making a fuss or mystery zeroing scopes. Visual alignment, large target close in, well bedded/supported rifle, even 1 round and adjust if way off, then fine tune at increasing/longer ranges.

Simples, or it should be.

Ditto for peep sights on target rifles, I almost never have had reason to touch mine, yet other blokes seem to be endlessly adjusting their sights.

Hey Ho.

3 minutes ago, difflock said:

I have always been perplexed by people making a fuss or mystery zeroing scopes. Visual alignment, large target close in, well bedded/supported rifle, even 1 round and adjust if way off, then fine tune at increasing/longer ranges.

Simples, or it should be.

Ditto for peep sights on target rifles, I almost never have had reason to touch mine, yet other blokes seem to be endlessly adjusting their sights.

Hey Ho.

Big arse piece of plywood or card, start at say 20m and keep going back.

And these parallax scopes, wtf know you're drops.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, GarethM said:

Big arse piece of plywood or card, start at say 20m and keep going back.

And these parallax scopes, wtf know you're drops.

On your scope , when you remove the cover on the up/down adjuster is there a rotational arrow saying Up or Down and if it says for example Down does that mean that if you tun the adjuster in the direction of the arrow the scope will go down or the shot placement will go down ? Coz if your scope goes down your shot placement will go up and if your scope goes up your shot will go down ( all for a given range discounting drop ) If you don't know what it refers to you can get in a right old mess ! 

Depends on the scope to be honest, Hawke have a great phone application that works that out for making zero easier.

But with a normal scope you set the zero and don't ever adjust unless something changes.

Tell the bullet where to go. Usually. I think some relatively uncommon scopes are the other way round. Not Pecars but something about that rare. 

And if you find zeroing day scopes tricky, try the digital night vision or thermals with the ballistics built in. 

• Like 1