240 members have voted

1. 1. Have you use a 200t one handed and should training be provided

• Never, not even once
    • Very rarely
    • Occasionally
    • Every day
    • No Training
    • Yes training should be provided

I have been in the tree work industry since 1991 and used my top handled saws thousands of time with one hand and not had an accident but over the last few years my eyes have been opened to the fact that it's not a matter of if it happens but when it happens, sloppy use of the saw leads to sloppy work and going about your job in a processional manner = using tools and equipment safely and within the boundary's of its design, it is harder and some times more time consuming to do the job that way but requires more skill and makes you a better arborist at the end of the day.

"just because a lot of people do it the wrong way that doesn't make it right"

I no longer use a top handled saw one handed.:thumbup:

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First day climbing since reading this thread, and I was really aware of every time I used the saw with one hand - much, much more than I would have thought I did! It was on connies, but that is no excuse. Nor is the fact that my Silky needs a new blade.

Not good.

I had a bad go with tennis elbow a few years back, and that will end your career quicker than a saw cut if it becomes chronic.

Time for a bit more self discipline on my part.

Yeah, I sometimes use one hand, but thats when I'm being sloppy.

I hate seeing it and don't think threads like this are a good idea. I'm sure a lot of seasoned tree slayers are confident that accidents will only happen to other people, but please think about all the less experienced people who might read this and think one handed is ok cos it aint.

Cutting and holding in my opinion is un-exceptable. When I started, cutting and holding was the norm as long as you didn't cross your arms over the chain. If your good with your step cuts your not going to be working any slower with 2 hands on the saw. I'm not happy to see anyone working on my jobs cutting and holding, frackly I see it as a lack of skill doing the job safely.

Using the saw one handed to free fall sections isn't so bad but does increase the risk of kick back. 2 hands is best. Accidents happen because people use the saw one handed. I know several people who have cut themselves working this way and using the saw with 2 hands would most likely have prevented the accident if not reduced the severity of the cut.

What ever way you look at it, one handed use of a topping saw is more dangerous. If you do it as a matter of course (especially cutting and holding) you need to brush up on your technique.

Please feel free to tell me how great you all are and how in control you are of every situation life throws at you.

:congrats: Nice to hear I'm not on my own using both hands!

I'd agree that sloppy use of any saw leads to accidents.

I never one hand my 020 in a sloppy fashion, all my one handing is carried out in a controlled and safe fashion.

I have no objection to anyone not wanting to use one hand and even admire their stance in doing all their jobs with two hands, even managing to be competitive with their pricing to boot.

But please dont label people who do use one hand as sloppy or cowboys.

The saw was designed for one handed use, it is only due to sloppy carefree use of it that the hse has jumped on board and made a load of rules up to LIMIT one handing to a minimum.

If no training is given as to how to use the 020 safely, wtf do you expect. People have to learn right and wrong for themselves.

But for anyone to label ALL one handing as wrong is in my view, very arrogant

I'd agree that sloppy use of any saw leads to accidents.

I never one hand my 020 in a sloppy fashion, all my one handing is carried out in a controlled and safe fashion.

I have no objection to anyone not wanting to use one hand and even admire their stance in doing all their jobs with two hands, even managing to be competitive with their pricing to boot.

But please dont label people who do use one hand as sloppy or cowboys.

The saw was designed for one handed use, it is only due to sloppy carefree use of it that the hse has jumped on board and made a load of rules up to LIMIT one handing to a minimum.

If no training is given as to how to use the 020 safely, wtf do you expect. People have to learn right and wrong for themselves.

But for anyone to label ALL one handing as wrong is in my view, very arrogant

I assume that post was in reply to mine. I didn't say or imply that one handed chainsaw use was for cowboys, to say that I think your reading my post out of context. What I did say was that I sometimes cut this way but its when I 'm being sloppy, thats because I know that I should be doing it another way. Niether am I arrogant, its easy to mis-interpret things that are read. I read your comment about all your "one handing is carried out in a controlled and safe fashion" as a little arrogant but I'm sure you don't see it that way.

The fact of the matter is that by holding onto something with one hand, you have less control than if you've got a grip on it with 2 hands. I know some people have used these saws one handed for decades and feel very comfortable doing so, but I can't be convinced that it is the safest way to get the job done.

I think you ought to think a little before posting claims like you chog down one handed and push pieces of with the other hand. You can of course do whatever you like but some plonker might imitate this and have an accident.

I don't think that using 2 hands is any less economic. If you need to re arrange yourself to use 2 hands for a few cuts it will add seconds onto your day its not going to loose you any work.

My comment was not limited to you alone.

Everyone who comments negatively on one handing, seems to assume it is bad practice and post as such.

If we are going on injury statistics, then the silky would be banned tomorrow.

We can't account for numpties, there will always be numpties.

What I can guarantee is that a huge percentage of tree surgeons one hand, cut and chuck, whatever you like to call it. So you will never stop it happening, simply because it is a very fast and efficient way of getting a tree on the ground or pruning.

So if you cant stop it, why not provide training to try and show what senario's are dangerous and what can be made safely, simple request really dont you think ?

I don't think that using 2 hands is any less economic. If you need to re arrange yourself to use 2 hands for a few cuts it will add seconds onto your day its not going to loose you any work.

I have proved this wrong time and time again.

There are many on this forum I have subbed to who have been astounded how fast a tree can come down or be trimmed with a combination or mewp and technique

Been away for a few days and just seen this thread. Read a few post (sorry cant be bothered to go through 10 pages :001_rolleyes:)

I actually think there should be 3 questions:

1 - Do you ever use a 200T 1 handed?

2 - Do you cut and hold?

3 - Should training be given?

To me the difference between cutting 1 handed away from your body on the end of a limb on a big reduction and cutting and holding is massive. I am not even going to explain why because it should be common sense.

Should training be give? Give some people an inch and they will take a mile.

If you are constantly in a position where you think you need to cut and hold buy a sling!

(or even better carry on to do as you wish - but be careful not to promote it to those who are not fully aware of the potential consequences :thumbup:)

I've got a small query! What is the correct procedure for tuning the idle and full throttle on a top handle? Im assuming that you would at least have to have the saw running and the chain brake off, would you have to be harnessed into a tree ? Also not sure wheather you might have to have a second climber with you to turn the screws while you rev the saw holding it with both hands and a third on the ground incase theres an accident. What Im getting at and Im (only being light hearted about the whole thing) is that the most dangerous things I've seen done with top handles has been by people on the ground that are trying to find or fix a fault. Remember Im only being light hearted about it :001_rolleyes: