• Occasionally
    • Every day
    • No Training
    • Yes training should be provided

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All one handing is not bad practice, but cutting and holding is.

No it isn't ??

Holding a branch is an excellent valuable time saving technique. I'd hardly call that bad practice. I'd say it was only bad practice if it was an incorrect pruning cut that subsequently harmed the tree :biggrin:

No it isn't ??

Holding a branch is an excellent valuable time saving technique. I'd hardly call that bad practice. I'd say it was only bad practice if it was an incorrect pruning cut that subsequently harmed the tree :biggrin:

It isnt best practice either. I'd have thought best practice was getting the best possible outcome in the safest possible way. Using the saw with two hands is safer as you have better control of the saw and are much more likely to apply the chain brake in the event of an accident. This can be done while still turning a profit.

I think that it boils down to common sense on those occasions. If someone is stupid enough to try and hold a very large heavy branch....and have the saw in a position where the arm can be pulled onto the top of the chain, they quite frankly should be slapped round the back of the head.

Again....training would highlight issues like this

it boils down to experience for sure. we know where our limits lie because weve been there and done it again and again, slowly honing our skills finding out what we can and cant get away with. unfortuatnatly a belated slap round the head isnt going to rectify the fact that most chainsaw injurys to arms are as a result of cutting and holding in my experience. we had a guy hit himself in the nose with an ms200 after it 'kicked' and have to have his face reconstructed. using the saw one handed way too close to himself. theres a time and a place for these things. i agree that training for one handed use is a good idea but it should still be discouraged unless nessacary.

I try not to!

and going with the 'cut and hold' thread. The first day i climbed for a guy i regularly work for. He wanted to get me used to it and i wanted to impress So i tried it and..... clipped my hand with the saw :sneaky2: luckily the saw was running down and just took my skin off. But it could of been a whole lot worse.

So obviously i've learnt my lesson and only do things i feel comfortable. I'd rather finish the job a little later clearing up than making sure every piece lands in the drop zone. Now i only use it one handed if im fully stretched out and its a straight drop. If i need to cut and hold, i'll crack out the silky. Afterall, thats what there for and its safer!!

I think that it boils down to common sense on those occasions. If someone is stupid enough to try and hold a very large heavy branch....and have the saw in a position where the arm can be pulled onto the top of the chain, they quite frankly should be slapped round the back of the head.

All I am saying is, with experience, we all know when it is or is not safe to hold and cut.

I have to disagree.

When do we have the experience to tell us that the branch is too heavy or it isnt safe to cut and hold? Is it after we have had a near miss or an injury?

IME accidents happen because we miss judge something, whether this is due to pressure, rushing, tiredness, inexperience or over confidence is irrelevant.

We make mistakes because we are human and get it wrong and cutting and holding dramatically increases the chances of us getting it wrong.

I maybe a complete and utter idiot for having one handed injuries, but I know for a fact at the time I thought I was in control and didnt think it was going to end in tears. Otherwise I would be some kind of weirdo masochist :sneaky2::001_tongue:

One handing is part of my daily routine especially when snedding up for the chipper.:001_smile:

A little test for all us one handers would be to go and try to do a full days work as per the AFAG guidelines. :thumbup:

When you refer to training dean do you mean training for one handed use or of cutting and chucking because in the current cs39 candidates have to give reasons of using the saw in exceptional circumstances such as one handed and left handed, they dont have to demonstrate these just explain where and why