This months Essential Arb - Cut and hold

mistahbenn

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NOT condoning 'cut and hold' at all as it's completely in breach of all HSE/AFAG guidance, perhaps tho, in (large) part, it's down to expereince and judgement AND, in my expereince of observing, often using the hand-saw as opposed to the chainsaw...a far safer and more pleasurable (quiter) operation!

BE SAFE...don't take that risk, it's never worth it!

Cheers..

Paul

Lets be realistic....it will always be done and will never stop and it's about time HSE and other organisations started to recognised this and start bring it into training.

There are safe ways to cut and hold

Jobs would take me three times longer and cost the customer three times more if I didn't.

Holding with your left hand 4ft down the branch whilst cutting at the union is safe full stop and its about time they started to introduce that sort of thing and introduce standards of when it is safe and when it isn't.

Instead of the chainsaw operator, experimenting and finding out the hard way, because at the end of the week, he will and any other newby will..cut and hold...simples

I dont think it will ever be taught, even though it happens every day. Its a bit like overtaking a truck with a corner coming up. It will probably be ok if your fast enough and the corner is far enough away, you have to assess the risk and make a decision. But do it on your driving test and you will fail!

So they teach that its not to be done, employers enforce it for duty of care purposes, and then those who can assess the risk correctly do it without problems but then there are those who dont and make a mistake.

I bet there are none of us on here that have never driven over 70mph, (100 even) we all know its wrong, but its more wrong when you crash!

NOT condoning 'cut and hold' at all as it's completely in breach of all HSE/AFAG guidance, perhaps tho, in (large) part, it's down to expereince and judgement AND, in my expereince of observing, often using the hand-saw as opposed to the chainsaw...a far safer and more pleasurable (quiter) operation!

BE SAFE...don't take that risk, it's never worth it!

Cheers..

Paul

Cutting and holding with a hand saw isn't against HSE guidance is it or am i miss -reading your post?

I cut and hold rarely but I do use this method occasionally, it's a natural practice for anybody with experiance, saying that though it's got to be one of the most common ways of people getting cut.

Edited by High Scale
SP