Have you ever bottled it?

gibbon

The British lad I have climbing for me, today had a moment in an 30m Abies alba.

The crown was very busy and thick with broken deadwood.

Too much deadwood, broken limbs to throw a flip line around and with all the mess on the stem a horrible climb from the ladder to his anchor point.

I told him to come down, leave his line and go again Thursday.

He may have had a moment but he is still twice the climber I never was.

Ty

Edited by Ty Korrigan

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As a new climber, and a part time one at that, I am so relieved to find this thread!

I bottled it yesterday, no rhyme or reason, had a successful morning climbing on some awkward limbs (very large silver birch) but then topping it out I had a proper moment and my head was gone. Fortunately the lad I was with said "your heads gone, come down now" and he went up and cracked on! But I felt like theeee biggest of failures and like I really had 'jacked' on him. I searched for threads like this for some assurance that it was natural... Thanks all for sharing!

Weve all had moments in trees,4th day on my cs38,i couldnt climb just kinda froze,no energy no drive,dont know if i was scared tbh just knew i couldnt ascend any higher that day.

Luckily the instructor clicked on and came up to reassure me.

I never had a problem since,but ive only been climbing 5 years so ive still got some way to go.

Some really interesting,funny snd porkie pie stories on this thread.Glad i found it

Ive done lots of conifers in my 3 years climbing,so imo its a must.Opinions vary though, just my 2 cents.

Weve all had moments in trees,4th day on my cs38,i couldnt climb just kinda froze,no energy no drive,dont know if i was scared tbh just knew i couldnt ascend any higher that day.

Luckily the instructor clicked on and came up to reassure me.

I never had a problem since,but ive only been climbing 5 years so ive still got some way to go.

Some really interesting,funny snd porkie pie stories on this thread.Glad i found it

Those last two years have gone by quickly... :rolleyes:

Glad I found this thread, it's good to know even the seasoned climbers can have their moments.

I'm due to start my cs38 in January and I'm full if apprehension as I don't actually know how I am with heights.

I went out with a mate and blakes hitched up a pine to a 30foot ish anchor point 3 or 4 times and felt uncomfortable, but not fearful. So I've laid my initial fear to rest and eager to crack on in Jan.

Diervek,

The more you climb the more you get over that! I remember my first climbing job was a row of conifers and I was pathetically flapping! But did it... And even with a very limited amount of further experience I could say honestly that I could go back and do that job a piece of piss. For me, it's adding a saw into the mix, I start wobbling when I'm worried about being stable before making any cuts!

I work as a Firefighter in my full time job and some may say that can be risky.... It's not a patch on tree surgery imo!

Diervek,

The more you climb the more you get over that! I remember my first climbing job was a row of conifers and I was pathetically flapping! But did it... And even with a very limited amount of further experience I could say honestly that I could go back and do that job a piece of piss. For me, it's adding a saw into the mix, I start wobbling when I'm worried about being stable before making any cuts!

I work as a Firefighter in my full time job and some may say that can be risky.... It's not a patch on tree surgery imo!

Firefighter and tree surgeon...respect!

Adrenalin junkie?

Ha, don't know about that! Kind of fell into the tree surgery side... But that feeling when your feet touch the ground after getting over the mental block safely, and you get the job done... To a pat on the back from the experienced climber... Makes you come back for more!