Have you ever bottled it?

gibbon

Asking the experienced climbers, have you ever bottled it?

I did for the 1st time today. Had a 35+m twin stemmed Northofagus to reduce. The tallest stem has a lean over some other specimen trees so needed to be rigged out or climb out to the very ends and cut and chuck. I reduced 1 side then couldn't reduce the other. Couldn't climb the last 5m as it felt just too sketchy, I was sure it would break. Couldn't finish the job.

Ever happen to you? or too tough to admit it?

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Never bottled it, but if your feelings are that its not right then that is a problem which needs a solution to be found. Cherry pickers come in all sizes or rigging in larger sections etc etc and the list goes on. Fear is a good thing, it keeps you alive!

I've had to change the plan in the past! Not sure if thats the same, its more liek common sense than bottling. Like if you decide to come back another day with a different method. There should always be a solution.

Just before christmas I was supposed to reducing a tall twin stem lime by 15%. I couldn't get anywhere near high enough, so then I knew I wouldn't get out far enough without a decent anchor point. The tree was so knackered and sketchy, it felt like the two stems were not attached to each other at all, and a better pre climb inspection might have shown that. I came down, changed the job speck to fell and re applied for permission. I will still have to climb it to take it down but I will win this time!!

Yes.

A Large Poplar with a Cavity halfway up,I was being rushed as our ride out had taken off.It didn't feel right,didn't move right so I came down and told the Client I wasn't going to do it.

When I left,him and his mate were planning on Pulling up a Stick of Gelignite with a String and running away.

when i was just out of college, big oak dismantle with the highest point being a limb went out sideways all rest of the top had blown out, i couldnt let my self spike up that limb to get the high point. wish i had though as you dont get big oak dismantles like that everyday :thumbdown: mind you i was that unexperienced i dont think it would have been safe me rigging top bits out, anyways i managed to rig out all branches up to a certain point and by time i done that guy whos job it was got back and we swaped. :thumbup1:

had a few moment wear i tought that i had maken stains in my boxers but all way manage to get the job done you said the last 5m thats the problem have you got a polesaw like stihl ht101 climb with what to wear you feel safe then just use the polesaw you spose not to use them up a tree but who care as long as the jobs done

I've been a bit concerned on occasions, but I real do believe trees are much stronger than people give them credit for, even when dead. So I've always pushed myself on and the more times I've done this the more I find I have confidence in even the most wobbly trees.

Maybe one day I'll find out the hard way that some are just not strong enough :001_huh: