Are you Bear Grylls ?

melvyn

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

bet you have good memories of that,will you take your twins and do the same ?:biggrin:

Aye it was awesome mate think I had the happiest lurcher in the world:thumbup: I remember the first time we went my dad waded across a rough river just down from high force the tallest waterfall in the country, he set up a rope for me to hold onto while I crossed even though there was a bridge just a bit further down:sneaky2: obviously being my dad I thought he was the coolest man in the world :001_smile:

Ray Mears has forgotten more about living off the land than most of us will ever know. And he can shoot ;) Bears Grylls is a tool for more reasons I care to divulge, but here's one for you 'Mors Kochanski' now there was a bushman. His books are amazing, he has been there do it, invented stuff to make it do-able, and got the t-shirt. Living legend :)

What have I do?

Two weeks solo canoe camping in Scotland for the past three years.

Grew up in the woods as a kid, hunting, trapping and rearing pheasants.

Deer stalking in NW Scotland in January every year (COLD).

Survived being English last saturday in a Scottish agricultural college.

Sam :)

I have lived off the land in my own way ,some years ago,I eat what I could forage & kill,But did earn money of sorts,I had a horse & 4 wheel trolley,bow saw & axe & a few sheets of canvas with old carpet for a 'fly sheet',ended up roofing the cart with ash hoops for a home,& made another cart to go out on the road to earn a bit running scrap,hauling logs out the wood for firewood,all manner of things to turn a shilling,boot fairs included.

Was a good life in many ways in this country,so not realy survival stuff,more a way of living,had about 4 years at it!

I'm more a fan of Ray Mears than Bear, reason being you get the impression off Ray that he does actually give a monkeys about what he does and is passing important knowledge on so it doesn't get lost with modern life. With Bear a lot of what he does is postulating for the camera, case in point being this clip :

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UpSlpvb1is]YouTube - Re: Man Vs. Wild, Bear Grylls is a Phony[/ame]

Soon as I saw this I lost all my respect for him, as his shows are very misleading.