What the Truck!!!!

larry

Lads,

Im looking at getting a new wagon.:thumbup:

Im keen on a Hilux or Landrover, however I know they cant carry chips and log in massive quantities such a a transit, canter ect.

Im not big enough and cant sensibly afford to invest in a transit and chipper, as well as running my own personnal car.

Basically, I'm after a 4 x 4 , to use as a works wagon for smally jobs and personal use. Also with a 4 x 4 I can get a trailer on tow bar, this opens a few doors.

Is there such a vehicle??:001_huh:

Cheers lads, hope al well.

Regards

Larry,

been a hilux fan for the past 15 or so years got a 2002 i always marine ply back and have 4 metal brackets fixed to the four corners for greedy boards can remove in 30 seconds also have a hinged ply section that slides down back of truck window between geedy boards and lid that lips on to top of greedy boards also have a platform section that fits across top of greedy boards great for the hedge cutting jobs all removable in seconds

When you say personal use, do you mean family use or distance driving? I own a 130 landie for tree work but it is no good as a family vehicle due to only 2 seats, 20ish mpg and being as uncomfortable as you like!! You will also find landies expensive to buy (compared to transits) so for the same sort of money you could run a family car and a transit.

Well Larry if you can find the ideal do it all vehicle you could probably retire now.

Hilux = nice to drive, reliable, fairly economical (compared to a landy anyway). Also, more or less bullet proof and pretty good off road. But, it won't tow like a landy or hold anywhere near as much as a 130 or hicap 110. If you need a crewcab you will also lose most of the back.

Landrover = Not so reliable (although mine has been great). The 300tdi isn't as thirsty as you would think with a few modifications and I have found it to be a great engine. It will tow almost anything. You're unlikely to get pulled by vosa on weight since your GTW is around 7t. As a day to day car... not good. Noisy, cold in winter, hot in summer. I haven't seen one yet that is water tight. On a long journey it's exhausting. I have a real soft spot for my 130 ambulance, but I'm changing to a 4x4 sprinter and flatbed truck, probably a transit or daily.

Well that's my experience. If anyone has that magic all rounder let me know.