timberwolf fuel problems?

Dean O

Hi guys

I recently bought a new second hand 150, low hours (120) as the seller told me it was bought as a spare machine.

on its first outing this week it seemed very down on power over our old entec.

the rollers intermitently weren't turning to take material in when you pushed the flappy paddle buttons...... so i checked and tightened the belts and this seemed to have worked but the engine is coughing and wheezing - stuttering and blowing blue smoke- almost missfiring.

ive drained the fuel tank assuming that its a fuel problem - more gunge in the bottom than i would have expected - the seller has been using red and kindly filled the tank - but im wondering if it could be contaminated with either water or gunge?

ive got hold of a new clear plastic prefilter to change just in case - does it go through another filter after the fuel pump? and where can i source one of these?

any ideas if i'm thinking along the right lines or could there be anotherproblem im not seeing?

thanks

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ive drained the fuel tank assuming that its a fuel problem - more gunge in the bottom than i would have expected - the seller has been using red and kindly filled the tank - but im wondering if it could be contaminated with either water or gunge?

After you drained the tank it, did you repace the fuel or just filter it? The reason for my question is, that if there is a small amount of petrol in with the red diesel it will missfire and run like a bag of nails. You only need a small amount of petrol to contaminate diesel. As already said, change both the fuel filters and also blow out the air filter. I take it the blades are razor sharp?

I'd be inclined to add at least one in-line filter as well as change the fuel filter. One other thing i would ask is have you tried bleeding the system from the injectors as it may have been run out of diesel:thumbdown:!! Sounds silly i know and really obvious but sometimes when someone gives you a machine with a full tank it's not always obvious.

has it a metal or plastic tank?

If its metal, there can be problems with the paint coating on the inside flaking off.

we had the problem with the dual 'fuel + hyd oil' tank.

having failed to flush the flakes we bought a replacement tank. turns out it was nearly £1K! turns out that when we went to fit it, it was full of paint dust. how we laughed :-)

next time I would get one fabricated out of stainless at a boatyard!

thanks for the advice guys.

sounds like people think i'm along the right lines then..

the machines an 06 and has a plastic tank- £1K for a new tank Bolt - wow

Ive drained the tank - its sitting empty at the mo (and i won't be re using the same fuel).

have a new clear in line filter ready to go on - the fuel line seems to go through another filter (looks like an oil filter) - where can i get one of these from (a local kubota dealer?) - does anyone one know a parts number?

Thanks

if its a plastic tank they can get condensation in them, you would see water in the filters maybe, i know this coz its happend to mine. as for self bleed im not to sure on that, when i change my filters i bleed it my self.