Petition to reduce fuel duty.

Bushbaby

just a reminder, in order to get your signature on the petition, you have to sign up at the website THEN, you have to validate this by clicking the link which is emailed to you. Only when you have done this will your name appear on the petition.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nice idea but the rate of vat is set by brussels

the goverments hands tied there.all EEC countries vat are almost the same, fair competition thing

g

Er... Not really. most european country's have several different VAT rates. Ireland has 3 Belgium has 2 France has 2, etc etc

And being as fuel duty is highly variable across europe, there's hardly a level playing field.

Off topic but we won't be running out of oil in the near distant future, I doubt even my great grandchildren will see the end of oil use!

A mate of mine is in the oil industry, no small player! he says all the reccent oil price increases and lies that we are running out is one big con-trick !

What I have signed for is for the government to increase the Vat on diesel and drop the duty, creating an essential user rebate.

i disagree with that, the only people who benefit are the vat registered.

what is an essential user? my wife needs the car to drive to work at the hospital everyday, thats 20 miles each way, obviously shes not vat registered, by your thinking thats not classed as an essential user?

i disagree with that, the only people who benefit are the vat registered.

what is an essential user? my wife needs the car to drive to work at the hospital everyday, thats 20 miles each way, obviously shes not vat registered, by your thinking thats not classed as an essential user?

Ah well, I am VAT registered so I would say that.

The essential user rebate scheme is for people like Hauliers who spend thousands per week on fuel.

Point in case, your wife will have a car that does for sake of argument, 40 mpg. So she will use 5 gallons or 22.5 litres per week getting to work. since diesel went from £1 a litre to £1.30, its costing her £6.75 extra per week.

Now compare that with a Haulier running at 44 tonnes.

He will do 300 a day or 1500miles a week at 6mpg. So he will use 250 gallons or 1125 litres a week.

So his weekly increase has gone up £337.5 per week...

And he is having to compete with Belgian Hauliers who have acess to much cheaper fuel.

Your Mrs could get a bus, car share, train, more economical car, etc to save fuel.

The haulier cannot do anything. The goods still have to be moved.