tripping more hung trees

dadio

I'm not a fan of dadio's techniques but you've got to give him something for his tenacity - he's still putting videos up and despite a lot of flak has answered all questions without any malice.

This technique of getting hung trees down - it looks downright dangerous and I'm not sure I'd try it but in each case where he has performed the cuts the tree has behaved in a similar repeatable way. So there has to be some pretty good science behind it and some pretty good skill.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This technique of getting hung trees down - it looks downright dangerous and I'm not sure I'd try it but in each case where he has performed the cuts the tree has behaved in a similar repeatable way. So there has to be some pretty good science behind it and some pretty good skill.

But he's not going to post the ones that don't, now is he :sneaky2::001_smile:

I'd have a couple of concerns. One being that I was always taught not to use saws above shoulder level but the second is that some people may view this and, despite the warnings, would have crack at it themselves without the experience or knowledge and cause a serious injury or fatality. We had a guy here recently that tried to fell a leaning willow. He didn't get the gob cut right, didn't get the back cut right andf the tree barber chaired, speared back and landed on him. Busted lungs, shoulder, chest arm and intensive care and induced coma for several days. If it wasn't for the marshy ground he was working on and the fact that he sunk into it when the trunk hit him he'd have been a goner. Having said that I'm sure most of us on here have done something similar at some time in out working lives to try and get the job done quicker.

I'm not a fan of dadio's techniques but you've got to give him something for his tenacity - he's still putting videos up and despite a lot of flak has answered all questions without any malice.

Rob, i would care to disagree. He picks through the posts and replies to the comments he can get a rise from. He will not reply to any comment or question i put to him as i have seen him in a former life.

Perhaps this is another he will NOT reply to;

Dadio have you got any videos of where things have not gone as planned?

Come on Daniel, prove me wrong and show us a handful of blunders (for the purposes of "what not to do"), there must be some:thumbup1:

That's all well and good, setting up a ground anchor army manual style is a great advantage when needed. That would probably take 10x longer than needed for these trees though.. The pic posted refers to a winch on the back of a skidder or tractor.. that's not something you are going to bring out to do one tree in a residential backyard.

bit late posting i know but i thought i might as well point out thats not stricly true.... :001_tt2:

DSC00090.jpg.bce3f194a01d2df45ae8727024c44cdc.jpg

DSC00091.jpg.4d9262f0cc8a3ff1cac2fe6d88e0737b.jpg

DSC00080.jpg.8beb2155ecc84fda40ebdbb6ed324773.jpg

Ive not posted in a long while but feel compelled to post on this one.

First and foremost the video shows nothing more than undercutting, it dosent need any more discription than that. To post a video of it and make it out to be some fancy technique is barmey. It requires only a modicom of skill, a simple step cut would suffice. In the right enviroment this tecnique has a place, this i am not disagreeing, however in all the trees shown a simple 1.6 ton tirfor rigged to a pully system would have done the job. We all know that our industry is not textbook and that we have to employ different techniques, which are done on a wing and a prayer in some cicumstances.

To anyone without the technical experiense with hung trees stay well clear of this video.

Steve this video thread should come with a severe health warning.

Dave.