Climbing self tend lowering? due to bad grounds people!

Danavan

At times I find the need to lower alot of my own material due to lack of staff on the ground & some times the lack of instruction over months in co's due to the lack of respect to the art of a good grounds persons! Has anyone else found this prob in our industury?

Grounds people are as important as the climbing crew imo, i think with the enrolment of more complex rigging gear that ground crew should be given a class in rig gear & use with a qualification as climbing crew need for certain opp's!?

Team work:confused1:

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have often wondered about those Auto belays. The ones they have at climbing walls, that are fixed at the top of the wall, you clip onto the rope and as you climb it takes in slack, but if you fall it slowly lowers you to the ground.

I'm sure it would be of use for lowering.

I've done it abit.

Once or twice when I have had to section Fell a Tree alone and had to lower a Branch,I have attached a figure 8 to the Stem with sling then run the lowering rope over a branch above the one I am lowering.Cut the Branch and lowered it to the ground,pulled enough slack through and undone the system.I would be a pain for more than one Branch,but sometimes one is all you need to do.

.I would be a pain for more than one Branch,but sometimes one is all you need to do.

for several branches, take several slings and carabinas up, take a bite of rope, tie the loose tail off on the stem near you in the tree, (or end of climbing line:blushing:) sling the branch, clip the crab into the bite, fig 8 or wrap the other end over/round a fork pulling slack through, cut and lower the branch, untie the loose end from round the stem and pull through.

you end up having to find the slings and crabs, at the end, but it works

make sence?

why would you not want to spend 10 mins going through stuff with the lads that ground for you

if it,s a proper lowering job and there groundies are not up to it

take one with you or tell em to get a grip or your not doing it

staff will never be good if you do not tell em:confused1: