Are Timberwolf chippers really that good ??

combined tree services

Hiya chaps , the reason for this post is that i have been looking into getting another chipper to two behind the ranger or transit(if i buy another one) . I used to run a timberwolf TW190 and found it to be a great chipper and appart from needing to change the flywheel bearings at 600 hours, i put this down to being un lucky and that was that , i then sold the chipper to buy a mog and ever since i have been questioning whether it was a good idea as i quite missed it . Any way over the last couple months or so i have heard from several other TW190 owners that they have had the same problem with the bearings as i did , the most recent that i heard of was this week was a tw190 that has only done 350 hours and needed its bearings replacing :thumbdown: . So i thought i would ask you guys and see what your thoughts are ?? sure;y it is not acceptable that a machine worth nearly20k should require such works after so few hours . I should point out that this is not an oppertunity to slait Timberwolf but it is hopefully an oppertunity to gain some knowlege and possibly some info from Timberwolf .

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you aint had it long have you ? i remember you posting that you had just got it . Much like you i love using mine and did not regret getting it BUT what does get me it that i should not have had to have the flywheel bearings changed after only 600 hours , we looked after the machine like a baby , and like i said in my first post i have now heard of one company having to change the bearings after 350 hours

600 hours is only 25 days constant running. Any bearings should last longer than that!!

I've not kept a timberwolf (I have the TW150) long enough to change the main bearings, the last one got traded in after four years with about 850hrs on it, but I would not be happy with a chaangign them within that time.

If you needed a bearing change in the first 12 months would that be covered by warranty?

This bearing issue is appaling!

I had a small diesel twin roller timberwold a 125/d or something like that, they no longer make them but it was IMO the best one they ever made, one man could push it about the place, i think it only wieghed 540kg or 640kg.

They now only do a similar with a pertol engine and one roller:thumbdown:

The day they re make the old rugerini engined diesel powered twin rollerd one is the day i go back to wolf and get geared up again!:thumbup:

The 150 was the same fly wheel housing as their first Entec machines, so although those small sealed (ungreasable) bearings were a mistake it was not possible to solve the problem without redesigning the whole machine.

If they have made a similar mistake with the 190, which a totally different design, thats a real shame and very much a missed opportunity too get rid of their reputation for poor bearings.