TR70 branch logger at APF

Buzzsurgeon

Sweet man, I've sent you a message there. In sort though the easiest way is to setup a youtube account (simple and free) and upload your video to there (quick and easy, once you have transferred the video from your camera to pc like you would photos)

and then post a link here. I can message you some more indepth instructions if you want. Don't worry, if its too much bother though. Rowan.

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here you go Rowan. Not going to have Steven Spielberg worried but should give you a feel for how it copes with brash. This is mainly beech which I find a bit of a pain as the small nature of the twigs and buds need bushing down in the nets. The best seems to be ash and oak which packs in much better in the nets. Works is much quicker with a second pair of hands but he was using the camera.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PB-y1y6Ptvc]TR70 Branchlogger - YouTube[/ame]

Hey, excellent video woodwork, thanks to yourself and the camera person (Beau?) for a great job. Looked like a nice day for it. Really impressed with the sort of material it seems to handle with ease. The blade design is cool, like a twin guillotine and feed roller in one. Whats the maintenance like on the blades and are they expensive to replace?

getting more and more tempted by one of these now. We have a small pto chipper with hydraulic infeed that is the ideal size for our small 35hp tractor, however this machine looks just as fast, if not faster when dealing with the bendy stuff you where putting through, and it would produce ideal secondary burning material for the home stoves.

look forward to more video's from you. Would be great to see the saw horse system you have for the front loader on the tractor in action.

All the best Rowan.

"Whats the maintenance like on the blades and are they expensive to replace? "

Have no idea yet. Only done about 500 nets and blades still nice and sharp. From what I can tell they should be good for many sharpenings as there is some system to adjust the blade spacing. I spoke with Welmac about the blades and I seem to remember that they had only had to supply new blades to one customer and they were putting pallet wood through it so high risk of nails etc.

• 3 weeks later...

Loosing sleep over this TR70 now... sad but true.

I really fancy having a go at one of these and made inquiries at which shows one might be on display. The 'shows' link on the Welmac website is down and an email didn't get anything useful in response so apologies for bumping this thread again.

My biggest reservation from the vidoes is that the TR70 looks a bit 'tinny'; slightly underengineered for the pounding it must get. From those who have seen one in the flesh is this unfounded?

Has anyone got one in Lancashire that I could have a look at?

How was Welmac UK to deal with? Discount off list that should be expected? Backup service? etc

Are there any alternative machines that should be considered alongside this?

Ta.

A wee & perhaps reasonably uninformed comment.

But having seen both machines working at APf and other demos.

I get the distinct impression that the Bilke produces more splinters (or kindling) as there is some sort of splitting tooth arrangment, that splits the offcut as it is being sheared off.

Quite deliberately and effectively, but remember the Bilke is designed for heavier dia feed stuff.

Which might be better split to dry faster.

Wheras the TR70 cuts sticks/branchs/logs cleanly to length.

Which may or may not be an issue.

the Bilke at the Irish forestry show, was being fed thin(ish) branches, but there would almost have been as big a pile, of splinter and chip below the trommel as there would have been split logs in the firewood pile.

If there had been a trommell that is.

Cheers

M

I could well be wrong, these are merely my impressions.

Edited by difflock

Loosing sleep over this TR70 now... sad but true.

I really fancy having a go at one of these and made inquiries at which shows one might be on display. The 'shows' link on the Welmac website is down and an email didn't get anything useful in response so apologies for bumping this thread again.

My biggest reservation from the vidoes is that the TR70 looks a bit 'tinny'; slightly underengineered for the pounding it must get. From those who have seen one in the flesh is this unfounded?

Has anyone got one in Lancashire that I could have a look at?

How was Welmac UK to deal with? Discount off list that should be expected? Backup service? etc

Are there any alternative machines that should be considered alongside this?

Ta.

The periphery of the machine is a bit tinny but the guts look to be pretty solid. I am nowhere near your part of the world but if you ever down in these parts and want a demo you are most welcome.

HI I got a tr110 which munches up to 4 inch stuff.Its about twice the price of the tr70,but if you get a tape measure out and really look at what you are thinking of chopping you soon see the limitations of the smaller one.

That comment about losing sleep over it is just what happened to me,but after selling logs for 30 years I treated myself toa branch logger and woodburner ,and just lit my first homefire on sunday.

Come and have a go on my machine if you like;im 50 miles below shrewsbury.