self employed

English-arb

another thing i suppose the reason why anyone would get a contract climber in is because they want them to do the toughest trees? is that correct?

That depends on the company.

Although Ive never been subbed in to fell a few 6 foot connies.:001_smile:

I stopped subbing because I was fed up of not knowing what I was doing and it usually wasnt nice.

I wont do it again.

Others love it as its a challenge.

Although sometimes when it is a big nasty ivy covered black hybrid pop I prefer not to know.:laugh1:

If you sub out as a good climber you better be prepared to do the worst jobs ime.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends where you are. Different areas of the UK have different rates.

When I was a subby climber in Bristol £90 was ok for a competent climber. £100 if you are good, and more if you are the mutts nutts.

Do you know your local market? Is there a demand for subbies? If not, stick in employment.

sorry but if you have to ask if you should be employed or self employed then you probably aren't ready to go self employed...

if you are employed, someone makes the decision for you,,, if you are self employed, then it's YOU,, just you..

the fact that you are asking has answered the question ...

I agree with ady, when it's time you know, i've only ever been self employed so don't know any other way and mixed private work with contract work, not a bad mix if you can juggle it imo. Reckon whatever you do at times though the grass is always greener.

Goog luck:thumbup1:

sorry but if you have to ask if you should be employed or self employed then you probably aren't ready to go self employed...

if you are employed, someone makes the decision for you,,, if you are self employed, then it's YOU,, just you..

the fact that you are asking has answered the question ...

with all due respect, i don’t agree with this statment. being self employed is about making informed decision and these cant be made without obtaining information. He is not going to suddenly wake up one morning knowing how much he should be charging. the only stupid question is one not asked in my opinion.

round my area its around 100 per day for a good climber.

best of luck! :thumbup1:

thanks for that.

i was simply trying to get information and advice. I was intending on taking and risk and leaving my full time job, but do it on the side and slowly build it up. Once i was confident enough perhaps maybe i would think about going solo permanently.

But i do appreciate everyones opinion.

Needed to know what a rough going rate was because we're not charity and deserve a good rate.

i think you know when to take the jump to self employment, when you have a few companys asking you to work for them, to do bigger jobs, and when you know you can honestly do any task given.

what area are you in? it really matters-i was talking to a guy a month ago, and (on the books) simmilar sized companys, for lead climbers the difference was 10k a year! diffrent areas of southern england

with all due respect, i don’t agree with this statment. being self employed is about making informed decision and these cant be made without obtaining information. He is not going to suddenly wake up one morning knowing how much he should be charging. the only stupid question is one not asked in my opinion.

round my area its around 100 per day for a good climber.

best of luck! :thumbup1:

totally agree with this.

I've been asking anyone and everyone every question in my head for the last year. Got myself a decent file and started storing info about quotes, insurances, chipper/stump grinder hire etc. etc. etc. You get the idea. This will be invaluable when you start a business plan.

Some people will help you out and give you good advice. Others will see you as competition and be an arse, shrug it off and keep asking.

Write yourself a good business plan with someone like business link, and make sure you know your competition and what they charge. Get a business loan or grant for all the gear you need so you know you can do jobs and not have to turn them down because of lack of equipment. Stuff will pay for itself quickly enough.

Only then would I send out C.V's to sub into other bigger companies, to suppliment your private work.

This is only my opinion of course based on what I've found around this way.

Good luck and keep asking questions!! :thumbup: