Ebay 070 stihl

geoff

its still a current model in that guise with that anti vibe configurations, if you dont believe me check stihls mexico website, 051 070 076 all still available

i dont see a big problem with it, would be handy for someone that wants a big saw for sticking on an alaskan, there are far less safe bits of kit on ebay in the form of many of the junk saws from china,

FTR i have an 070 (1970's) and i think its a great saw, granted wouldnt want to use it all day but the sheer torque of the thing is amazing, and he does state that is designed for export because of the lack of chainbrake,

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if its genuine then its very old stock...

070s and 090s made recently have a fairly modern anti-vibe setup and front hand guard.

070s and 090s made a couple of dacades ago had a funky wrap around style antivibe setup and before that i believe had no antivibe... but being a 090 owner and fan, you knew that:001_tt2:

e-Catalogo STIHL

jump to page 28 to have a look at stihls current 070's they produce

Having the earlier 090, and the slightly newer(!) 090AV, and looking at those pics, they certainly dont have the AVs set-up as Tree-beard describes. Looking at various points such as decals, raised lettering, the tools and genuine Stihl bar/chain, I still believe from the pics that the saw is kosher, but as you say a very antiquated model that is not fit for professional use in the UK. It is, however, fit for various foreign markets. I am surprised that Stihl dont intervene with these sales, given their face-to-face sales policy (as has already been mentioned above) i shant be bidding anyway.

i stand corrected on the non av availability :blushing:...

however the saw on ebay and the 070 in the mexican catalogue differ in clutch cover and nameplate... without seeing it in the flesh i would dismiss it as a copy... (but then i'm a somewhat paranoid miserable sod:001_smile: )

not saying it wouldnt be worth a punt for the gunuine bar and chain... or a cheap mill saw (as long as you bear in mind the copys can be had for a couple of hundred quid)

and i dont think there is a specific 'law' about chainbrakes... just that machinery should have all its original safety measures intact and functioning... saws originally made without chainbrake, no problem:thumbup1:

• 1 month later...

I spend lots of time on Arboristsite and they often say these saws are for sale in South America and I think the saw is genuine but not for sale in Europe or the US.

If you watch any news articles on rain forest clearance you will see some locals using these saws to fell some big old trees - don't know how this guy got them but IMO they are real - Stihl would be none too happy to see them for UK sale!

The copies are usually branded 395XPs and come out of the Zomax factory!

Spud

I've spent a while looking for big old type chainsaws for milling and ended up buying one of these to try from China.

I couldn't be sure without seeing in the flesh but I think this is one of those saws. This guy is being a bit cheeky though (or his supplier is) by adding some stihl stickers and worse a genuine bar and toolkit to add authenticity.

The one I had was ok but after a few weeks the button that holds the choke out to start it fell off, the air filter cover thread burred and two fan blades broke on the pull starter, the pull cord broke and it was a bitch to start sometimes (and always awkward to start).

I've heard that Stihl make the 090 somewhere but if so where?? I want to buy one for milling!