Were Climbers better 15 years ago?

Mike Hill

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i started doingh work experience once a week with my boss owrked for free and got paid very little on satyrdays now im an apprentice earning little and working all hours gods sends evening weekends etc i think im pretty well in with my boss and ive only got groundie tickets he told me that before you climb you have to show you can work on the ground and do the crappy jobs then you get the 'right to learn'.

Old school climbers have big egos even now the ones ive met only care about getting the tree down and making them selves look the hero but then young climbers are more nervous and often to slow and some ive noticed who have not put in the hours on the ground dislike getting stuck into the dragging and the chipping and would rather stand and wacth.

as usual this isnt aimed at everyone im just saying fgrom my experience

Like now, there will have been good ones and bad ones.

However, 15 years ago, pre tickets being obligatory, you would imagine that anyone who wasn't reasonably productive would have soon dropped out the industry.

There were probably at lot less climbers then as well.

I think climbing is loads easier these days because of modern ropes and gear.

Modern rigging equipment has transformed the work entirely.

Saws are more powerful and lighter.

Those who are the best at the game nowadays will no doubt shift more work for the same effort than there counterparts did 15 years ago.

On the other side of the coin, there will be people employed in this industry, who are mediocre, but just about adequate, that wouldn't have lasted a week back in the day.

:001_smile:

Old skool climbers graft harder ime, Not to say they are better BUT they seem to grit there teeth, get the job done and Not worry about getting there anodised (spelling) gear dirty!!

I wouldnt go as far back 15 years either, 7 plus maybe!!

Again, Im not saying this is the case everywhere and with everyone, Just my experience!!

Edited by Mozza

its roughly 15years since I started professionally. Things have moved on from "old skool" to a certain degree, I think most are more safety aware which can be a good thing, more I work with care about the trees they work on, rather than bish bash bosh big bucks all the time. But we need a nice blend from both camps. Rigging kit is now purpose built for the job, rather than a hotch-potch of crappy old bits of rope tied together to make a long enough line to lower a limb, saws are better, lighter, more reliable (sometimes) As for climbers being better 15years ago, I dont really think so, they've just adapted to the new ways of H&S indoctrination. Some of the old boys havent time for the H&S "bull" as they see it, yet appreciate a good new climber who can cut the mustard with the best of them.

Before I found Arbtalk I considered myself a very good climber, in some respects I still do but I've watched blokes climb in comps with less than eight years under their belts and had some of em work for me aswell and I just know that they are mustard otherwise I wouldn't still be employing em.

If your good you'll always have work no matter what era your from.

Like now' date=' there will have been good ones and bad ones.

However, 15 years ago, pre tickets being obligatory, you would imagine that anyone who wasn't reasonably productive would have soon dropped out the industry.

On the other side of the coin, there will be people employed in this industry, who are mediocre, but just about adequate, that wouldn't have lasted a week back in the day.

:001_smile:[/quote']

I think we have it right there.