Stuart Witt

What would you pay  

26 members have voted

1. 1. What would you pay

• £50-£75
    • £75-£100
    • £100-£120
    • less than £50

I think this is a great idea..it would be a great chance to get a lot of competitors old and new into the compititon scene!! i have had experience of compitions in the uk and usa. IN america is was a big event over two days with a massive range of experience..it was a great atmosphere good sponsors..everyone got a good prize, the entrance fee what $100 but with the prizes received the food and facilities it was well worth it!!

Like joe has said it takes a hell of a lot organisation and if we are only getting 10-20 climbers then it can financially become un-viable!

It is important to get new climbers into the compition scene...people need to realise it is far from elitist...old new qualified and experience world champions willing to share ideas and knowledge!!

Too sum it all up , i personally think it would be a good idea to have a big one...then if people want to get together and set up there own practice/jamboree comps then thats not a bad thing!!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've helped out at a few comps in the past, this year i entered my first comp and it was awesome. from a selfish point of view i loved the fact that the comp had downsized as it meant i could come 9th rather than 29th, i was able to really enjoy it.

perhaps jamboree style comps would enable people like me to break in to the circuit and get the bug.

i am certainly going to enter other competitions in the future and i am willing to get involved and help out with setup and organisation where i can. if more people got involved at the early stages and had a good experience then i think the competitions would build themselves.

i think part of the trouble is the distance that people have to travel for a comp, i wouldn't have entered my first comp if it was a days travel away, i was lucky that it was held down the road.

again if local arborists who'd been competing for years held jamboree comps then im sure it would bring good results.

the sad fact is that there is probably a lack of people who are willing to put there time and efforts on the line.

Stuart.

It’s good to see someone asking what the climbers want and trying to explain that if they want a good comp they will need to pay for it Ying and Yang

Having helped organise these events since 2006 ( till this year ) I probably know better than most how much effort is needed to pull a comp together. The organisers put in hundreds of hours of unpaid voluntary time for each event.

This has to take its toll I have had to take a back seat this year due to other business commitments Alex Laver gave an awful lot of time in 2008 / 2009, I am sure everyone involved in the organisational side of the comps would admit it can be a very thank less task. With very little appreciation of your efforts from the climbers taking part. The few that do thank you for your time do make a difference and it is pleasing to see climbers abilities grow year by year Josephine Hedger battled annually to improve her climbing and as a result is now World Champion, results like that make it all worth the effort.

One event a year would take a hell of a load off of the shoulders of those organising these events and it may bring in more helpers to set up run and dismantle the Preliminary events. You will need even more if you are to have separate trees for Novice, Intermediate and Men’s categories. Remember these guys give up their weekend and workdays to set up and help and don’t get a chance of a prize.

In the past I personally helped sponsor the TCC’s to help subsidise the comps. Other kind annual Sponsors like Martyn Honey (Honey Brothers) returned year after year. Speaking as a past sponsor your event will need to be marketed, booked (no change of date or location) well in advance and the climbers need to stand up and be counted by supporting the event with paid up attendance (in advance) this allows the organisers to get some idea of numbers and plan goody bags, T Shirt’s, catering and toilet facilities climbers take for granted. The promotional organisation needs to be top level. Sponsors like me will not return to be subjected to little or no marketing or appreciation alongside poor attendance we need to show some return for our support or we may as well just spend the money on a nice family holiday.

Experience has shown that a lot of climbers think its fine to arrive late on the day totting crap kit they haven’t even bothered checking themselves expecting to take part, this attitude just isn’t acceptable. Thankfully the majority do take pride in their equipment and try and arrive in advance to allow the organisers to look over their kit and get the show rolling on time.

If short if UK climbers want a premium UK comp you have to commit to it not sit on the fence. Stuart is asking for your help he is asking for your guidance for Christ sake give the guy a hand.

I like reading this thread to actually see what climbers opinions are. Things can only improve if people give us feed back. If your reading these comments and have a view please post it, as everyones ideas will help.

As far as thr comp its self, it will take time to get the support of both climbers and sponsors back on board. It has slipped over the last few years, and a lot of it is due to the lack of direction. I have been fortunate to travel to many comps all over the world, and I always come back wishing we could improve on our events. For anyone who has not seen or been to any other chapters competitions, we have an amazing talant of climbers, which cannot be lost.

People who say there is nothing for novices have missed the bigger picture. I have been a novice and a female climber, no prizes, no money, but what i get out of it is the leanring experience and personal gain of improved techiniques and cimbing. I would pay the entry fee any day, which is a small amount for the massive amount of knowledge there is available. Friendship and networking is the other major attraction.

I do think it is important to encourage new commers, for example like the UK final last year with goodie bags when you entered.

Having one comp combined with the students and novice catorgory is a good idea...no need for lots of trees and judges, same trees, same set up just drop bells on work climb for example, drop the foolock...

I must stress though that the UK final does need to keep the same 'ISA set up' for the main competitors, dont over bogg it with team events etc, this event must keep the same format as the International competitions, for whoever gets to go and represent us.

Keep the commments comming,

Jo

a good point made by joe there and i would like to back it up.

firstly it is nice to feel you have achieved something at a comp and have made use of your time and money but if medals and winning is your bag then good for you. it has always been a nice feeling to pick up medals and all that but for me the chance to meet and climb with excellent climbers and learn technique and get usefull tips is invaluable and is a real life arbtalk. i have no regrets about doing any competitions and they have also helped me find work and now enable me to work outside the uk.

the second point was about the student idea i think it does make sense and allows them the chance to ask the more eletist climbers what they are doing and let them see the gear they use nd not only that they can meet people and ask them about their jobs and work and all that so it does have a really good addition for the students too.

shame not more people have more to post, well done in the worlds jo.

• 3 months later...

Interesting thread guys:thumbup:

I've never even seen a comp, partly as i'm fairly new to tree climbing but partly due to lack of info and advance warning. Would love to see what goes on and may be even have a go. £100 seems good value for a well organised weekend event, I'd probably come along for some entertainment and to learn something at that price.

Looking forward to seeing what happens in 2011...

Matt

Some of you will know that I have become slightly dispondant with the TCC's in recent years and have now set up a new UK competition the 3ATC. Don't get me wrong I think you can all learn a lot from attending a well run and supported ISA TCC and I have been pleased to personally sponsor climbers like Josephine Hedger and Phillipa Allen represent the UK at European and International level.

But I wanted to offer climbers an entry level event so working with several well respected Arborists we designed the Arborist Tree Challenge its a one tree event with three levels Novice, Expert and Premier. Some of next years dates are now available on the website Arboricultural Association Arborist Tree Challenge with entry fees at only £10 it wont even break the bank and after your climb you get to relax watch and learn from other climbers taking part.

This isn't meant to be in any way a replacement to the ISA events and you won't get to represent the UK in Europe or America so please continue to support them as hard as it may be at times.

Nick

hi

what about getting nptc involved entry includes refresher course people can kill two birds one stone perhaps might help entry levels :lol:

No thanks, getting nptc involved in comps would be about as much fun as taking a driver test examiner to a track day. :001_smile: