Dog damage to trees

David Humphries

There is one breed I will not go anywhere near and that is Rottweiler. Next door to me has two of them and they are the nastiest things I have ever encountered. I have punched one of them after I walked down my ally and they came bounding up the fence and tried to jump it. Gut reaction was to swing for it. Coughs it clean on the nose and it backed away sharpish.

Everyone who walks past gets it from the dogs, one old women dropped her shipping bags and legged it away. I rushed out and helped her past.

I have already complained about the dogs and the RSPCA women and dog warden has been out but left.

I'm waiting for them to actually jump the fence. And god help the dogs or owners if they jump mine while my boy is out playing.

Rich

I was brought up with Labs, and had friends with German Shepherds, Alsations, Great Danes and Irish Wolf Hounds - so not afraid of large dogs, however, a goos friend of my wife through work had a Rottweiller. He was a huge animal - too big for officially showing, I was very wary and my wife was all but, terrrified.

To cut a long story short, we ended up looking after out friends house for a few months and the Rottie was part of the bargain.

My wife aid she would never let him into the house alone. The first evening I got home the dog was asleep on her feet!

He also saved my wife from beeing mugged one night - what asuperb animal, if I could have one like him again I would trust him with my childrens life - welling up just thinking about him. When we had to move on our 'friend' took him back, within a couple of months he had put him down - never spke a civil word to him again!

They are huge animals, and unfortunately like alot of dogs these days, many of them are poorly bred, but the correctly bred and trained animal is a true 'mans best friend'.

I personally dislike and would never trust any dog that looks or resembles a pitbull, and that unfortunately includes most Staffs.

We both have a (if it is the right word) dislike, of the breeds we both like/hate.

It is a lot to do with the training of hothead animals as it is with most pets.

Due to the nature of those things next door I will not trust the breed, doesn't mean that every breed needs to be put to shame. I man I do digger work for has a roty, he is the biggest one I have seen as is as wide as he is tall. He has gone for a few people I know who have approached him wrong in not waiting for him to suss them out rather they have tried to approach him and been growled barked at.

In fact he is one of the nicest rot I have known, I waited for him to suss me out and offered my hand by my side so he could smell me out, now if I work in the workshop on any machine he will come and lay next to me if I'm on the floor and will gladly share my lunch and have a play. Much to his owners horror as I feed him tid bits. But I would still not turn my back on him and trust him too much due to the ones next door.

The roties name is murphy by the way.

I own a German Shepard x Alsatian by the way. The eldest has a staff.

• 3 weeks later...

"The small brained animal, primed to hate, straining at the end of a short leash, is universally recognised as bad news. And the dog, his yelloweyed, drooling familiar, the killing machine, is not much better. The relationship is a mistake, a dangerous misconception, a perversion of actual needs. The dog as protector becomes the very thing that must be protected against, squat embodiment of threat. Man curses this creature, thrashes it with a chain in a ferocious show of love. If it were possible he'd wear that burnished pelt like a new vest, the dogs snarling mask in place of his own. He's zip himself inside the hot skin and take the world by the throat.The dog channels, gives sculptural form to prodigious spite. Jolts of electric tension pass through the links of the chain. The man believes he is tethered to an heraldic cartoon, his own courage expressed in meat form. His phallic extension has achieved independence and swaggers beside him, twins that would put the Krays to shame. The dog is prick with teeth. Its balls are so heavy it rolls from side to side in a ruptured waddle. The ultimate carnivore, incests glory."

Ian Sinclair 'Lights out for the territory'

"The small brained animal, primed to hate, straining at the end of a short leash, is universally recognised as bad news. And the dog, his yelloweyed, drooling familiar, the killing machine, is not much better. The relationship is a mistake, a dangerous misconception, a perversion of actual needs. The dog as protector becomes the very thing that must be protected against, squat embodiment of threat. Man curses this creature, thrashes it with a chain in a ferocious show of love. If it were possible he'd wear that burnished pelt like a new vest, the dogs snarling mask in place of his own. He's zip himself inside the hot skin and take the world by the throat.The dog channels, gives sculptural form to prodigious spite. Jolts of electric tension pass through the links of the chain. The man believes he is tethered to an heraldic cartoon, his own courage expressed in meat form. His phallic extension has achieved independence and swaggers beside him, twins that would put the Krays to shame. The dog is prick with teeth. Its balls are so heavy it rolls from side to side in a ruptured waddle. The ultimate carnivore, incests glory."

Ian Sinclair 'Lights out for the territory'

Story of my life . . .

• 6 months later...
This has got to be one of the worst ones I've ever had the misfortune of documenting.

Sadly on a specimen of 'new horizon'

Obviously its only immune to DED and not mindless vandalism. :thumbdown:

7 months on and we've left it, in part as a study to see how a tree responds to this level of damage and also as a signed piece of interpretation for the public to alert them to what we have to deal with in terms of loss of time, money & sheer ignorance.

Callous tissue is alive & green and buds/flowers are 'trying' to push on

IMG_1932.jpg.f75922ffc03833bafbd74c9185db53ab.jpg

IMG_1931.jpg.4bf42a58ffb39cea02d977c6833b0765.jpg

IMG_1930.jpg.4978f253bdea07799524054b6c5e259f.jpg

IMG_1929.jpg.64c308979eaa20019860213afa1dc742.jpg

IMG_1928.jpg.cb68861a3bfdf92f50aa3491c5ef6879.jpg

DSCF1254.jpg.e52923467460d0d5caac521ef0cdd996.jpg

DSCF1251.jpg.d50f9c3a2bc77117c652c13165da39d5.jpg