Newbie just sold his first bag for £120

baz

just checked out #bay £30 a bag how the hell!!! i really dont know how the guy can make a living off that:confused1:

And we have no idea how you can get away with £120 a load! Bugger me, the pile in my yard would have to be insured. I can only dream of charging those sort of figures. Mate of mine sells a 110 hicap level load for £35; not the driest mind but anything more is considered robbery around here. :crying::sad:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And we have no idea how you can get away with £120 a load! Bugger me, the pile in my yard would have to be insured. I can only dream of charging those sort of figures. Mate of mine sells a 110 hicap level load for £35; not the driest mind but anything more is considered robbery around here. :crying::sad:

i agree with you mate but ive done the sums ie cost of wood ,labour,fuel,delivery etc not trying to teach anyone to suck eggs but 50 pound is minimum to make some profit anyone agree:confused1:

WTF are we doing wrong in devon; average here is £35 per m3...

:confused1:

At that rate mate, I could afford to buy a 40cube bulk load from you, pay for transport to me(over 400 miles away) and sell it on at a profit of £30/cube. Quite scary really.

Oh, and thats last years prices(£80/cube)

There seems to be many traders that are constantly searching for the next supply of wood to meet demand. I'd rather sell 100 bags at £120 each than a 1000 bags at £80. Less sweat and lots more money when you take maney as meaning profit. So, if I can get it I'll stick to my pricy but you gets what you pay for offering. When demand is strong is always the best time to raise prices, those that pursue that policy will generally be pleasantly surprised. Even a not too ambitious 10% price increase over prevailing cost inflation can pretty much double net profits on commodity sales.

Just a thought for anyone lamenting all the hard work and low prices!

Edited by baz

35 quid !!!!! bugger that im only a short distance down the coast and i can sell a level load for £110 quid , a hi cap level load is roughly 2 and half bags !!!:confused1: never had any complaints yet :thumbup1:

Our prices went up last year as for the first time we had to buy in wood. Nothing left our yard at less than £100 per m3. Our builders bags were going out at £65 - my nearest competitor sells the same bag at £35.

We sold out last year and our orders for the coming season now cover 80% of the available stock.

I will happilly tell any customer about my competitor and his prices and explain the differences - we sell two different products - ours is 4-5 year old mixed hardwood baked in a polytunnel - his is all recently felled, contains a good proportion of Lleylandii, processed wet straight into the bag and delivered the same day. His is still a real bargain for anyone with the facility to store it.

Customers can make a choice between top quality ready to use or cheapest. It really isn't a problem.

:congrats:

Spot on with this. You work out your costings and find a price that's sustainable - otherwise the cake's not worth the candle. I'm not the cheapest by any means, but sold out last season and repeat custom is already at a high level - even had to turn away some business yesterday due to distance. Likewise, I'm more than willing to direct customers to my competitors if they baulk at the price, but ask them what they'd rather have - a load of chimney tarring, slow burning green wood, or pay that bit extra for a product that actually does what it claims to.

If you take the time to prepare a quality product, don't be afraid to reflect this in the price. Quality will out, don't sell yerselves short.:thumbup1: