recession - no more grant schemes?

Joy Yeomans

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair enough UK...but what strikes me is that there is a need for grant aided schemes because the economy no longer supports a "productive" business model the way it used to and so, fails sometimes to make funds available in the other areas you say it could be spent on. Doesnt mean grant schemes dont have their place...IMO.

There is no ownership incentive and with the welfare state being starved of further finance..its welcome back the memories of Thatcher's Britain.

If you are still using public transport by the time you are 25 ( according to thatcher ) then you are a failure ..... UNBELIEVABLE !

EDIT: In a effort to return to the thread title..much of the finance that was available to the Conservation schemes I worked over the years came from The Lottery !

Edited by Bundle 2

i agree entirely why do some qualify others dont but this scheme alone keeps 2planters 4fencers drainage boys and us treeworkers almost ayears work so not moaning too much

yes thats it mate, but its never handed to us on a plate, we all have to tender for the work, and you only get it by being realistic imo

but some boys i know rely on this type of work and move from scheme to scheme as they are classsed as "preferred contractors" and when they get to that stage i think they do put that bit extra on top as the tender stage seems to disappear from then on.

yes thats it mate, but its never handed to us on a plate, we all have to tender for the work, and you only get it by being realistic imo

but some boys i know rely on this type of work and move from scheme to scheme as they are classsed as "preferred contractors" and when they get to that stage i think they do put that bit extra on top as the tender stage seems to disappear from then on.

i know the feeling we stay on the door and fencing was awarded to a sawmill/fencing company 60 miles away at a very low rate as they only need to supply materials to make money no way could we compete for meterage rate

Only done one grant job in the last 2-3 years and that was a smallish fencing job earlier this year, used to be booked up right through winter with hedgelaying and fencing work through the Countryside Stewardship, have seen someone advertising in Farmers Guardian saying grants are still available but it didnt say where from :001_rolleyes:

well thats good, well done

but where i was coming from was these grants for forestry/woodland/conservation etc work have all been shelved for hte moment it seems, and some stoppd indefinately, others cancelled - we were due to help a big job on august down in aldershot, thats been stopped, my cousin who verge mows throughout the m1 and a1 and right across to scarborough he has had that work stopped, we had a few small woodland/conservation jobs that look like they will now be shelved - luckily we werent banking on these it was just an added bonus bit of work

any one else had any work shelved?

Hi log barron if your Aldershot job comes back on line perhaps we could do something on the cord wood. We are about 40 miles down the M3. I was born in Aldershot but dont shout about it.

Hi log barron if your Aldershot job comes back on line perhaps we could do something on the cord wood. We are about 40 miles down the M3. I was born in Aldershot but dont shout about it.

it was all being chipped and shipped to power station, 1,000s of tonnes

there is still grants available for setting up short rotation coppice for willow/poplar etc i believe.. been reading up on it a bit..

Do you have any links about this that you wouldn't mind sharing?

I suspect once I suspect once allocated grant funding has been used up from the previous government, that will be it. This new government are dead set to fill the deficit, but stopping funding and increasing vat to 20% will perhaps have a negative effect as people my feel they have to hold onto their cash and ride the storm?:confused1:

I suspect once I suspect once allocated grant funding has been used up from the previous government, that will be it. This new government are dead set to fill the deficit, but stopping funding and increasing vat to 20% will perhaps have a negative effect as people my feel they have to hold onto their cash and ride the storm?:confused1:

just what we thought, i think come Jan. when 20% vat kicks in its going to be a massive downturn in everything, fuels prices sky high and very little work for very few:confused1: