recession - no more grant schemes?

Joy Yeomans

Could cut both ways with local authorities, perhaps some will cut their arb teams back and use contractors when required, or some may use more in house resources to make a saving. Has anyone that has regular LA contracts noted any change?

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know of L.A's that drafted in " consultants" who are there as outsiders in a sense, to evaluate the fiscal status quo and recommend where and how cuts are implemented. It seems a tad harsh.

Such work as Building Conservation and the like...it has been transformed into a profit only business. Guys who have been in LA's for 20 years or more are encouraged to stab their buddies in the back to secure their contracts of employment. I probably make it sound a bit dramatic but the few I know in LA are not happy bunnies, and the business strategies are fast changing. Im all for competition and value for money ( esp where LA's are concerned ) but how can the cuts not have a knock on effect.

Just as an aside..the labour govt( outgoing) was also set to make public sector job cuts. If you look the figures, they stack up worse than the coalition govt . The thing is, once the current incumbent gov term is over, its set to plummet out of sight. This what I mean about welfare state.

Its a strange one....Vegetation control can never really be ignored without serious implications to related infrastructure. So you'd think there would be "business as usual". To some extent this is the case. But where the industry suffers is perhaps where the arbs are consulted. Try get a builders/developers to outsource a consult arb from pre app when they dont know whet 5837 is, nibble away all the profit and guess what>? They dont want an arbo onsite. Period.

Crazy world. Spend spend spend, then save scrimp save....Pointless!:thumbup:

• 2 weeks later...

Only just spotted this thread,

FC are on a recruitment freeze as are NE, any unallocated funding within the conservation sector has been clawed back, :thumbdown: environmental jobs have dropped about 20% in salary, just looked at a few project managers posts and they are less than what i was on when i started in the conservation sector 5years ago as an assistant :thumbdown:

Roaches are going as part of the 20% reduction in the national parks funding as the Eastern moors went about 18months ago, and these big estates are a big drain on resources, its costing £10k's just to maintain the footpaths on these sites. Its not looking good for the wife having a job after her maternity finishes,

FC locally up here wont leave the office, and all the funding seems to be going to sites within 30mins of the office, so those of us near two hours away dont seem to stand a chance,

I think April the cut backs will really cut in seriously, and thats when we will see the real mess we are in, I mean you know the amount of work i have lined up only to get shafted about my the funding bodies, trying to get FC out to Nicks still, about to submit this woodland creation grant application for 20acres and they wont come out to discuss it and the mangement plans for the remaining site, which isnt very helpful.

I think April the cut backs will really cut in seriously, and thats when we will see the real mess we are in, I mean you know the amount of work i have lined up only to get shafted about my the funding bodies, trying to get FC out to Nicks still, about to submit this woodland creation grant application for 20acres and they wont come out to discuss it and the mangement plans for the remaining site, which isnt very helpful.

I agree with this. In my area, I can see FC and LA conservation departments cutting back hard on budgets to save their own skins, even though thinning out some of their office staff would be the best solution..:sneaky2:

Mind you, I've heard some FC staff are feeling the pain, although they're starting on the lower orders first: a craftsman at the local office got some good news and bad news..

The good news:"We're buying you a new tractor"

The bad news:"We're selling the house you rent from us to fund it - get packing!!"

Absolutely typical of them..:thumbdown:

dont worry charlie, im sure we'll get into nicks at sometime - but i know it is frustrating :sneaky2:

see you saturday mate:thumbup1: