recession - no more grant schemes?

Joy Yeomans

alot of grant funded schemes are not going ahead due to cost cutting, even the peak park are trying to sell off the Roaches (a wild rocky outcrop near Leek, staffs) more lads ringing us for work, i see more tree/forestry men selling alot of kit off.

is this the real start of the recession or are we entering a depression in the economy - just no work and no money about

any body else feel like this or am i being too negative

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I've just had a training grant worth upto £3k a year from the Welsh Assembly, so I think they are out there, somewhere.

well thats good, well done

but where i was coming from was these grants for forestry/woodland/conservation etc work have all been shelved for hte moment it seems, and some stoppd indefinately, others cancelled - we were due to help a big job on august down in aldershot, thats been stopped, my cousin who verge mows throughout the m1 and a1 and right across to scarborough he has had that work stopped, we had a few small woodland/conservation jobs that look like they will now be shelved - luckily we werent banking on these it was just an added bonus bit of work

any one else had any work shelved?

Yep I reckon this years going to be worse than last year. everyone was lossing there minds last year and the press said stuff about being out of recceson official. But its just creeped back. Sure it can be a cacth 22 It means more Foresters/arbs going out leaving work for the well established or it means the college funding will be cut for arbs. I dont think its going to be all bad

My theoroy on the firewood industry is that as were geting mroe eco it will cacth on, as the reccesion grows tighter it will cacth on. For well established firewood sellers i think it could be cashing in time.

Good luck all

My theoroy on the firewood industry is that as were geting mroe eco it will cacth on, as the reccesion grows tighter it will cacth on. For well established firewood sellers i think it could be cashing in time.

Good luck all

dont know about that, i think we will have a bad time this year, as i think every tom dick and harry and harrys uncle have jumped onto this band wagon that we 3 years ago couldnt give firewood away

alot of grant funded schemes are not going ahead due to cost cutting, even the peak park are trying to sell off the Roaches (a wild rocky outcrop near Leek, staffs) more lads ringing us for work, i see more tree/forestry men selling alot of kit off.

is this the real start of the recession or are we entering a depression in the economy - just no work and no money about

any body else feel like this or am i being too negative

dont know about that some fencing /hedging grants still running we have removed thousands of metres of hawthorn hedge/fences for replanting 250 000 plants 30miles fencing going up as we speak just luck i suppose if your near the work

I must admit I'm not a big fan of grants for businesses. Why should we pay for people to get rich? If people are going to succeed in business they out to be able to do it without a grant.

I do accept that some areas the work would not be done, but here I think that someone ought to organise the funding then put it out to competitive tender, rather than giving money to people.

I have done some work paid for by grants because I'd be stupid not to, but I was thinking why is the cash here for this but not other things?

Also a mate of mine has just secured 100k funding for something that will make him very rich, and IMO doesn't put anything of note back into the community. Whilst others are unemployed and would be grateful very little.

Just my tuppence worth

R

I think the money could be better spent on other things

I must admit I'm not a big fan of grants for businesses. Why should we pay for people to get rich? If people are going to succeed in business they out to be able to do it without a grant.

I do accept that some areas the work would not be done, but here I think that someone ought to organise the funding then put it out to competitive tender, rather than giving money to people.

I have done some work paid for by grants because I'd be stupid not to, but I was thinking why is the cash here for this but not other things?

Also a mate of mine has just secured 100k funding for something that will make him very rich, and IMO doesn't put anything of note back into the community. Whilst others are unemployed and would be grateful very little.

Just my tuppence worth

R

I think the money could be better spent on other things

i agree, mate

but the wording i have used has sent this thread wrong, i was meaning funding for works, not grants for business to buy/make/change business - i was thinking of the works that we as foresters carry out for say Natural England types wildlife schemes etc - i should have headed the thread funded works and not put the word grant