Tesco night shifts on £11p/h OR Climbing for £7-£9p/h

Brodie

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do i bother???

Comments please..!!

amazing,,, you start the thread,, ask the question and then skulk back under the stone,,,

going by your first two threads on here I'd place a fairly safe bet that you are in the wrong industry my friend...

I can think of countless other jobs that "pay" more than tree work,, in fact my last job paid nearly 4 times that,,, but i'm way happier now,,, earning a fraction of the money but with job satisfaction,, i love being back outdoors and meeting people and murdering their trees,,:001_smile:

you seem to have an axe to grind but here's not the right place,,,if it's all about the money then i suggest you try another job,, if you think you "deserve" to be getting more then i hate to inform you that to me and i'm sure afew others it's more than likely down to your attitude,, you could be the best climber in the UK but down to the way you put yourself across i can see you only getting peoples backs up,,, besides,, we all know richy rulke is the best climber in the uk...:001_tt2:

suggest you stop starting pointless threads and start looking for the job that will "show you the money"

I left a decent wage in engineering because I hated being stuck behind a desk most days. I took a massive pay cut to get into arb and still with my own business don't earn a great wage, but I love what I do. I'll take a £20k job in arb over a £35k in an office every time.

The money is there, but I think you need to be running your own business if you want the decent money IMO, but then you HAVE to get up for less than £50 some days :laugh1:

Why do i bother???

Comments please..!!

or......................

how about getting a boring well paid job for a while (southeast would prob be the best location..... some soleless city should do it.....maybe sorting out other peoples imaginary problems.........)

THEN, once you have made a nice wedge (give it 15 years or so) you can 'retire' to a nice little place in the country, and become a hobby arb. :thumbup:

So who exactly gets £11/hr stacking shelves? I've just had a search, and I can't find anything over £8/hr..and that's for nights and includes any night premiums.

Pay rates have always been poor in this line of work; there are other rewards. Anyone who goes to work purely for the money would be a lot better off retraining and finding something else, for everyone's sake. When I employed people, the ones who moaned about money all the time were never satisfied anyway: a pay rise would shut them up for a month or two, then they would be off again :001_rolleyes:

Genuine question, but is there more of a concentration of arb workers (ie more supply, less demand) in England as opposed to Scotland? The pay seems to be truly atrocious. There are a lot of people saying that they do it for the love of the work, but at the end of the day, if it doesn't pay enough to meet your outgoings, it's not a job worth doing.

Jonathan

A few issues here, years ago (before I started shinning up trees for a living), I was out of work, my wife was heavily pregnant and the dole wouldn't give me a penny. I got a job shelf-filling on nights in Sainsburys. I can honestly say it was the worst job I've ever had in my life. The highlight of it was sticking the nightshift manager up against the wall (I left very soon afterwards:blushing:).

There IS a recession on, we are going to have to work longer, harder and in some cases, take more risks to earn less money. If, however, treework stops bringing the bread home for me, I'll be off to earn it elsewhere.

If I was in your shoes (and young and single), I'd just enlist in the Army, see the recession through, do a bit, see a bit and come back to treework in a few years time.

I have seen less then 56. I worked with a chap on 50 pd and have heard about another lad getting 40 . I personaly feel these rates are to low .

If I was ever to employee anyone I would never expect anyone to work for me for those rates as I would want to pay the person working for me a fair days pay for a fair days work that way I can expect the person to give me 100 effot in return for a fair days pay .

Littletree.:thumbup:

WELL SAID.... there should be more out there with your view... :thumbup: