AlderwoodTreeCare

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

to hear people are struggling and they wouldn't do a job makes me laugh

why does it make you laugh ?

I have never done it and I wouldnt change my mind even if I was strugling

I actually advertise on my website that I dont do it so I dont get people asking they just ring someone else

I have more than one string to my bow so if things become quiet In tree work im not goosed

why does it make you laugh ?

I have never done it and I wouldnt change my mind even if I was strugling

I actually advertise on my website that I dont do it so I dont get people asking they just ring someone else

I have more than one string to my bow so if things become quiet In tree work im not goosed

Exactly. People who say they don't do it and know all the reasons why it is bad practises and then go against all that when they need the wallet filling make me laugh even more.

Just think if someone is struggling for money and saying they wouldn't pollard a tree they would turn the job down it's daft just my opinion trees get pollarded and come back looking fine wonder if the lad who started this thread hasn't wrote back because he's too busy you never know ha

I just quoted a job today, 10 sycs and an elm, most have been topped before, they want them all brutally topped, I explained all the pitfalls etc and they fully understand. However they still want them all down to about 10 foot, and that's what I'll do, I'm not turning down £1100 for a job right on my doorstep just so someone else can do what I won't.

I'll be doing them in a few weeks, not sure if I will post pics though:blushing:

Its basic stuff really, topping a perfectly healthy tree is no different to cutting a car in half and welding two different cars together.

We all know it is wrong to do either.

Some mechanics will do anything if they are quiet, its all down to how you feel about it within yourself, if you think its ok and can sleep easy alls well

I personally dont feel good about it so dont do it, I would hate to be reading a headline in a paper in 20 years time of a branch failing on a tree I had massacred in the past that had killed some poor soul innocently going about their business.

We and all other proffessionals have a responsibility to ensure our work is done proffessionally and in a way that doesn't endanger life be it now or in future.

If you think endangering life is ok as long as your mortgage gets paid then go for it. The chances of litigation doesn't disappear when you pack up and go home after doing the deed

I missed the last few pages of this thread but the start was good!!

My thoughts are sometimes towards what the tree is going to be like to work on in the future. Lets say he's done a good job for the customer and has been paid etc. Its likely they'll call him back in 10 years time for more work. That tree will be a nightmare to work on then!!

Even when we cut back trees hard at customers requests, we still bring the sides in and leave it managable in the future, that is as important as its appearance at the end of the initial works IMO.

A Lime is better off pollarded and managed than reduced in this manner with the sided untouched, and reduction in height only is a poor job spec for virtually anything other than Leylandii.

I had a look at his website and amazingly on the links page there is a direct link to this thread!!

Most people in my neck of the woods want there trees topped so they can see the lake or mountains. I spend a lot of time explaining the pitfalls of topping and try and encourage them to have the tree removed and replanted with something more suitable (the trees, more often than not, have been topped several times) that can be suitabley managed. Unfortunately many customers can't see this and just want the tree hammered. I am not in a position to be able to turn work down no matter what it is. This is a small community and most work comes via word of mouth. I'm pleased some people in the forum are able to stick to their principles and refuse to cary out this kind of trimming but I certainly can't and although I dislike topping immensely I want to stay in business rather than have to go work in a factory or something. Even the local council is happy to top trees so should I refuse council work too on the basis of my principles?

I wouldnt have had a problem with him doing a pollard if thats what they asked for, but making a large and what is going to be a dysfunctional rotting wound and leaving un reduced lever arms exiting directly at this point is WRONG.

Stuff the re growth, this can be managed, but the regrowth above on the upper limbs will Increase load whilst decay increases at the topping point.

a 30 % reduction, even 40% would have been as equaly effective, and left a balanced and long term solution.

Got to agree with you on that one.

Have been up trees like that in the past where the top has been taken out and the side limbs left,and they are really awkward to do:thumbdown: