Best all round thinning saw

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://arbtalk.co.uk/forum/general-chat/16753-361-cracking-up.html

hmm someonme with very similar usernames just said about his 361 'cracking up':001_tt2:

Yes yes I know :blushing: but in all fairness it could happen to any saw and is a due to an acident not any problem with the saw it's self.

Any way it still works just might have a new rattle soon where other lesser saws would have given up evidence of a truely great saw Imo.:thumbup:

I've had 26/260's new one after the other since 1990 and i think they last the longest.did a month thinning oak this winter,6-8" stuff,far less fatigued with the 260 than anything bigger,used a 372 18" for the bigger,outside row gnarly stuff,but as matty said earlier it tires you out (IMO).Dont overlook the husky 353 for this kind of work,economical,responsive enough,cheap enough and extremely reliable considering its colour :lol:

I have a 357 and a 362, tbh there's not much between them in terms of performance.

I may make a vid sometime.

They're just tools at the end of the day, go for what ever feels right in your hand as you will be holding it quite a lot.

Tom, how dare you be so sensible and impartial.

This is a chainsaw thread on Arbtalk, man.

You are meant to say something like -

" Husky 141 with a 36" bar for me. Every Stihl I have tried has exploded within 23 seconds."

There we are, back on track.

Some wildly different opinions here!!

Can I ask the 'larger saw' crowd why you would go for a heavier saw, even if it is quicker? I suppose that I have a propensity to go for small and lightweight at the expense of power but my colleague uses a 361 and it is a fine saw. I have used a 260 in the past, and enjoyed it, but even that seems a touch like overkill for sub 12 inch trees (and the incumbent MS261 seems to have been on a bit of bulking diet).

Finally, excusing my inexperience, but is there anything beyond the obvious Stihl/Husqvarna that is worth considering?

Jonathan