Cost of getting a 7.5 ton license

orang utah

Thanks that shads the light on it . So the transit empty and the chiper would be 3.5 ton combined .

Not sure what you would get if you got caught with some chips on as well as the chipper ? as it seems to be happening all the in our industry as by the end of the day the chips are in and the lads are pedal to the metal and its off to the tip to shad the load

Littletree

The towing vehicle can weigh up to 3500kg and the chipper can weigh 750kg

The allowance for the towing vehicle is the Maximum Authorised Mass which is the most the vehicle and payload can weigh, for a transit tipper this will usually be 1800 to 2000kg for the vehicle and 1500kg+/- for the payload

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Has this changed recently??

When I got done it was just a fine no points.

Depends how much over you go, My old boss got HAMMERD for being over weight, nearly lost his licence but ended pleading for it and got 6 points and a really big fine

O my I thought I had the answer to this in the bag ,this bag of chips gets more complicated as it gos on . I reckon the cops would also be a bit confused by old new license and tug,load weights .unless its traffic cops

Littletree:001_smile:

:blushing::blushing::blushing::blushing:

Ooooops

I stand corrected on the point, I can’t see how splitting the MAM entitlement would be of benefit in arb unless you were towing a small grinder with a small car

Just do the trailer test

It's not really unless you were towing a chipper behind a landrover and leaving all chip on site, and then you struggle weight wise.

I'd just do the trailer test it's a piece of urine

R

Has this changed recently??

When I got done it was just a fine no points.

It will depend on how bad the offence is and what vehicle you are driving. Joe public will get a slapped hand.

LGV drivers tend to be held (rightly so) to a higher standard of care so if they get caught over they get harsher punishment. The stakes are higher at 38 tons

Trade publications like commercial motor run lists of recent prosecutions.

O my I thought I had the answer to this in the bag ,this bag of chips gets more complicated as it gos on . I reckon the cops would also be a bit confused by old new license and tug,load weights .unless its traffic cops

Littletree:001_smile:

No they won't. It's easy here's the link to what you can do:

Car and trailer practical driving test : Directgov - Motoring

Car licences obtained before 1 January 1997

If you passed a car test before 1 January 1997 you keep your existing entitlement to tow trailers until your licence expires. This means you're generally entitled to drive a vehicle and trailer combination up to 8.25 tonnes maximum authorised mass (MAM). You also have entitlement to drive a minibus with a trailer over 750kgs MAM.

Car licences obtained on or after 1 January 1997

If you passed a car test on or after 1 January 1997 you're limited to vehicles up to 3.5 tonnes maximum authorised mass towing a trailer up to 750kgs, or a vehicle and trailer combination up to 3.5 tonnes MAM providing the MAM of the trailer doesn't exceed the unladen mass of the towing vehicle. You will need to pass an additional driving test in B+E if you wish to tow a caravan or trailer combination which exceeds these weight limits.

The loading of the vehicle is of no relevance to the licencing issue

Post 97 licence holders can drive a vehicle up to 3,500kg and tow a maximum of 750kg these weights are Maximum Authorised Mass and refer to the most the vehicle is legally allowed to weigh.

Your licence is just as valid if your towing vehicle is empty or overloaded although overloading will get you a fine and points.

:dito:

• 2 years later...

To be fair, the chaps at VOSA don't know what the law is either. I got done for towing a <750kg chipper once. They insisted and insisted that I wasn't allowed to tow anything whatsoever, 3.5tonne mam, no more. Lots of hassle later, had to find someone to tow it home who had a pre 97 licence, and had 3 hours to do it otherwise they were going to impound it. As soon as I got home, I found out they were wrong, and i was fully entitled to be towing, ruined my day, lost me a job, cost me a small fortune.

When VOSA pull you over, ask to see their written permission from chief of police of the area, it's illegal to pull over a vehicle without express permission from the local police chief. After some digging I realised that I'd been pulled over by a lady with no right to stop me, there were only four people in Surrey who were entitled to do so, and their names all began with "Mr"..

Bloody VOSA.