Cost of getting a 7.5 ton license

orang utah

The wood chips count on the vehicle weight so your 3500kg transit may take 1.2 of that weight of as payload. You can still tow a trailer upto 750kg. You can't however drive a 3500gh vehicle with a trailer over 750kg but you may drive a 1200kg vehicle with a 1200kg trailer as its less than the 3500kg of your licence.

IF you do licence cat C1 which is 7500kg trucks you will still only be able to tow 750kg as you've changed catagory. You then would need to do C1+E which take you up to around 8500kg vehicle weight from memory.

For the money i'd the C cat which credits you C1 as well the vehicle you take the test in is more or less the same size. C makes you much more employable as well. Your looking at spending about a grand a catagory for C and C+E

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well thats interesting as I believed you could tow a Timber 150 on a transit on the new license as the max tow weight is 750 kg, the timber wolf is 730kg . I know all the lads I have been working with over the last months most of them are on the new licenses tow the timer 150s with chips on a transit . I did go into this with the boss and it seemed they could tow them nothing was raised over the chip weight in the transit at the end of the day I did not think of that bit of it .

I have very little understanding of this but I would of thought that the chips are not part of the tow weight as they are in the transit itself not on a trailer.I know on the new license I believe you can drive up to 3.5 ton van so would I would think it depends how heavy the transit is with chips in total.

There will be others reading these posts that may be able to answer these questions

with a better understanding of the rules as I also would also like to know these answers too. it all seems to be a gray area.

Littletree:thumbup:

3.5 tonne is the combined weight, chipper included :thumbdown:

Also im one of the lucky ones who's last employer paid for me to do the C+E

your all right about wieght and everything Im pretty sure the trailer needs to be unbraked to

The trailer doesn’t “need” to be un braked. Trailers with a Maximum Authorised Mass of less than 750kg do not need to be braked. If they are braked the braked need to be working or its points 4 u

Category B licence holders can drive a vehicle up to 3500kg and tow a trailer not exceeding 750kg

Edited by treequip

The wood chips count on the vehicle weight so your 3500kg transit may take 1.2 of that weight of as payload. You can still tow a trailer upto 750kg. You can't however drive a 3500gh vehicle with a trailer over 750kg but you may drive a 1200kg vehicle with a 1200kg trailer as its less than the 3500kg of your licence.

Not on a category B licence.

Cat B licence holders can only tow 750kg unless the do the trailer test

Nope, Ive got B plus E (my plus sign wont work :confused1::laugh1:) and i can drive a 3.5 ton vehicle with a trailer up to 3.5 ton max OR whatever the 3.5 ton vehicle is rated to tow :thumbup1:

No it's not it 3.5t truck plus the weight of the chipper

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brushcutter

Nope you can under certain circumstances tow a heavier trailer.

I don't understand why this is so hard for people to understand all the information is clearly available on government websites.

R

Thanks that shads the light on it . So the transit empty and the chiper would be 3.5 ton combined .

Not sure what you would get if you got caught with some chips on as well as the chipper ? as it seems to be happening all the in our industry as by the end of the day the chips are in and the lads are pedal to the metal and its off to the tip to shad the load

Littletree

:blushing::blushing::blushing::blushing:

Ooooops

I stand corrected on the point, I can’t see how splitting the MAM entitlement would be of benefit in arb unless you were towing a small grinder with a small car

Just do the trailer test